I'm abandoning ship in favor of another!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Evening.... I have the 800 watt element in my MES.... I wired a dimmer in line with the element.... control the wattage so it never turns off and the temps are consistent... There is a thread about that somewhere on here.... with a controller in the heating loop that would be good.... I have done several mods to the MES and it is a very good smoker now.....

Dave
I actually have found and read that post several times Dave.  It's some very handy work. 

At this point I'm debating on getting the PID and wiring to the 800 watt element and if I don't get the results I'm looking for then I will upgrade the burner. Time will tell I'm still in the research phase
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Evening.... I have the 800 watt element in my MES.... I wired a dimmer in line with the element.... control the wattage so it never turns off and the temps are consistent... There is a thread about that somewhere on here.... with a controller in the heating loop that would be good.... I have done several mods to the MES and it is a very good smoker now.....

Dave
Is that a good idea to wire a dimmer made to handle a couple hundred watts to an 800 watt heating element?

I used a dimmer capable of 1500 watts..... incandescent type light bulb...

good idea ????? been working for a couple 3 years.....

Last edited:
I used a dimmer capable of 1500 watts..... incandescent type light bulb...

good idea ????? been working for a couple 3 years.....
As long as it's rated for that high then sure, I see zero problems with that and the fact that you've had worry-free use for 3 years backs that up.  I just cringe when someone says they hooked up a dimmer as some of them aren't rated for that high of wattage and they tend to be pretty finicky when you're not trying to throw lots of load at them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky