IH Fridge Conversion Undecided, Charcoal or Electric.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

b-riddy

Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Good evening,

I am fairly new to the forums. I recently came by a nice steel IH refrigerator with the compressor and the coolant already removed. I have started demo'ing it removing the old insulation and plastic flashing.

At this point I figure I better make a plan how do I want to proceed, charcoal firebox outside, or electric unit inside? I have cut my teeth on smoking by being a lump charcoal kind of guy. My current smoker/grill that I use is a King Griller made by Char Griller. It looks like a big red steel egg. I love it, it has been hanging in there with me since 2011 and 3 states later is still working like a champ for searing steaks and smoking ribs, butt roasts and chicken wings.

I'm interested in building a smoker with somewhat automatic temperature control unit. Whether that be a firebox with a grill mod kit with a blower and some temperature probes or using an electric heating element with probes and a PID temperature controller.

The budget I would like to work within in is $400.

I would ask after reading the above what direction would you go, and why?

Charcoal with a BBQ Guru!  No reason other than I don't think I've seen one setup in a fridge yet, would be neat. On thing to consider on a temp controlled setup, with everything else that goes into converting a fridge, I think you may be hard pressed to meet that budget.  When all is said and done I'll have over $1000 in mine, now that includes the pellet pro which was $400, but you get the picture.  Stuff really adds up quick in these builds, just a friendly warning!

Hey Greyape,

Thanks for the response. I'm new to the smoker building world so I appreciate the advice on the budget. Most of the temperature control units I've seen are at least $100. I would be interested in building one myself. I just need a little guidance on where/what to buy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky