I got the new build started she's gonna be a big girl.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ranch House

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2020
Defuniaksprings, Fl.
133705523_1318041431903838_3094297378227495588_o.jpg

Good luck with the build, Bruce.

What size and thickness is the tubing? And what are you going to weld it out with?

Is this your first smoker build?

Best regards,

Reactions: Ranch House
Lance R the frame for the bottom is 2-1/2 × 2-1/2 × 3/16 the rest is 2x2- 14 ga. I'll weld it out with a Miller 255 pulse machine and weld my stainless with a Hobart Ironman 250. This will be #6 on builds.

Thanks, Bruce

Is the 255 a Millermatic or a Multimatic?

We used to have a farm in Upstate NY before "retiring" to out North Carolina place. I really didn't need any engine drives any more but was so used to having one or two around I kept one and found another one here that I overhauled.

Over the last year or so I've sold off my engine drives (2012 Bobcat 225 and a 1994 Ranger 8 that only had 87 hours on it), a couple of like new LN-25s and a Dialarc 250 AC/DC machine. The proceeds are about to turn into a new back-up generator for the house and (most likely) a Multimatic 255 with an extra MDX-250 E-Z Select gun and either a Spectrum 625 or a Powermax45 XP plasma cutter

It is, for me, a big cash outlay, as I'm essentially a hobby welder now. They will partly be for building a some smokers, so any input on your 255 would be very welcome indeed.

I'm in Pinnacle, NC a bit north of Winston-Salem. Where are you?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks, Bruce

We used to have a farm in Upstate NY before "retiring" to out North Carolina place. I really didn't need any engine drives any more but was so used to having one or two around I kept one and found another one here that I overhauled.

Over the last year or so I've sold off my engine drives (2012 Bobcat 225 and a 1994 Ranger 8 that only had 87 hours on it), a couple of like new LN-25s and a Dialarc 250 AC/DC machine. The proceeds are about to turn into a new back-up generator for the house and (most likely) a Multimatic 255 with an extra MDX-250 E-Z Select gun and either a Spectrum 625 or a Powermax45 XP plasma cutter

It is, for me, a big cash outlay, as I'm essentially a hobby welder now. They will partly be for building a some smokers, so any input on your 255 would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance,
Thanks, Bruce

Thanks in advance,
Lance R it is the Millermatic I have a engine driven Lincoln that I use for stick and never tried Tig so I didn't want to spend the extra money. The pulse mode takes a little getting use to but I love it. It is fast I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Reactions: LanceR
Lance R it is the Millermatic I have a engine driven Lincoln that I use for stick and never tried Tig so I didn't want to spend the extra money. The pulse mode takes a little getting use to but I love it. It is fast I don't think you can go wrong with one.
Lance R I missed your question about my location, I'm in Defuniaksprings, Fl. about 80 miles east of Pensacola Fl. moved up here in 97 from Mims, Fl. My wife and I own a small restaurant she runs it and I work for a construction company. We have a small farm with cattle, hay and pine trees. I had to learn welding years ago to keep things repaired. I've set up several BBQ vending trailers and that's my plan for the rotisserie. I bought the 255 last winter when I built the 500 gallon offset that's in my profile picture. All I can tell you is it's a Cadillac compared to other welders I've owned.

Reactions: LanceR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky