I get to keep my Old Redneck Southern Lady card for another year...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Is this not a thing of beauty?

cornbread.jpg

Supper (with a surprise in the cornbread...cracklin's)...
supper.jpg

There...the obligatory southern New Year's Day supper!

As you were! :emoji_older_woman:

My Grandma used to make the BEST cracklin' cornbread. It's been years since I've had it. That's got to change. That plate looks great Sherry. I also keep pepper sauce at hand in the fridge, except I use Tobasco peppers. You can't have greens, or beans without it. Great job, and Happy New Year!

Reactions: SherryT
My Grandma used to make the BEST cracklin' cornbread. It's been years since I've had it. That's got to change. That plate looks great Sherry. I also keep pepper sauce at hand in the fridge, except I use Tobasco peppers. You can't have greens, or beans without it. Great job, and Happy New Year!

The problem is that it's getting harder and harder to find decent cracklin's (at least around here, anyway!).

Happy New Year to you and yours as well, Dave!

The problem is that it's getting harder and harder to find decent cracklin's (at least around here, anyway!).
I haven't seen them in a store in a LONG time. Best cracklins I've found were when a friend butchered a hog and they made them, but that's only 2-3 times a year...

Nice! I made ham & beans with cornbread, too, but no match for yours!!
If you have any Mexican groceries around (There are plenty around here, for sure.),
they usually have cracklins....

I haven't seen them in a store in a LONG time. Best cracklins I've found were when a friend butchered a hog and they made them, but that's only 2-3 times a year...

My GGM would make them in a HUGE cast iron pot in the back yard (seriously huge...it took two men to move it!).

They were nice, chunky cracklin's, too...not this "cracklin' dust" that seems to all that's available in the stores nowadays (and it's hard to find even that anymore!).

Sigh...

OK...you got me on that one! In biscuits???

GOTTA try it!!!!!
I guess you could think of it as a biscuit with a prize inside....
If you do it, I would love to see your recipe. The best biscuits I've had were while working in the south, and I have a feeling you make a kick butt biscuit :-)

I grew up on my Mamaw's, Grandma's, and Mom's homemade biscuits. I can make them, but I only do so about once a year. My new recipe is as follows:

1)Go to grocery store
2)Grab a bag of frozen Mary B's biscuits
3)Follow instructions on bag.

These things are surprisingly good, and super easy.
buttermilk-biscuits.png

Reactions: halleoneagain
I grew up on my Mamaw's, Grandma's, and Mom's homemade biscuits. I can make them, but I only do so about once a year. My new recipe is as follows:

1)Go to grocery store
2)Grab a bag of frozen Mary B's biscuits
3)Follow instructions on bag.

These things are surprisingly good, and super easy.
View attachment 653242
hisssssssssssssssssssssssss :emoji_wink:

Seriously, though...I've been known to buy a bag or two of those and you're right...not too bad.

I guess you could think of it as a biscuit with a prize inside....
If you do it, I would love to see your recipe. The best biscuits I've had were while working in the south, and I have a feeling you make a kick butt biscuit :-)

Oh, trust me...I'll be trying this for sure!

As for my own, I think I do alright, but it's a DEAD SIMPLE recipe...White Lily self-rising flour, ice-cold buttermilk (that would be thick, creamy CULTURED buttermilk, BTW), ice-cold lard, and worked by hand (no spoons, forks, or pastry cutters...by hand).

That's how I learned.

Oh, trust me...I'll be trying this for sure!

As for my own, I think I do alright, but it's a DEAD SIMPLE recipe...White Lily self-rising flour, ice-cold buttermilk (that would be thick, creamy CULTURED buttermilk, BTW), ice-cold lard, and worked by hand (no spoons, forks, or pastry cutters...by hand).

That's how I learned.
The recipe on the White Lily bag makes the best biscuits. I was turned onto it by an old timer out here who runs a grist mill down the road.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky