I done messed up about 19 pounds of summer sausage. Any ideas what to do with it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donaltman3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
Valdosta, GA
Long story short... I had roughly 19 pounds of ground meat for summer sausage... had a spice kit for 25 pounds... didn't think much about it in a hurry I dumped it all in..... smoked it, came out perfect looking.
Pulled it out a day later to package and decided to sample... smells awesome but even my kids said "wow that's salty." What do you all do with "off" summer sausage?
I don't want to throw away 19 pounds of venison.. but it's too salty to enjoy more than a slice of it. I am thinking I could probably cube some up and throw it in potato soup or something.
Does anyone else have any tricks or recipes to use summer sausage in?

Slice it, then let the slices soak in water with cut up potatoes over night. Then use it in gumbo or soup or stew but, without adding any salt to the pot.

Slice it, then let the slices soak in water with cut up potatoes over night. Then use it in gumbo or soup or stew but, without adding any salt to the pot.

Potates can absorb Salty Water, so you can pull Salt out of Soup if you simmer a bunch then toss the Taters and add more water to the soup. But potatoes don't absorb salt raw siting in water. In this case, the soak in Water will do all the work, no Potatoes needed. Save the Taters for Soup.😆

I agree with you guys about Soup. Below is a good one that will use up some of your Summer Sausage nicely...JJ

This was given to me by my Father's best friend, who was a first generation German American ...

Authentic German Potato Soup

1Stk Butter
2Lbs Sausage of choice*
2C diced Onion
1C diced Leeks
4-5 Carrots, diced
4 Ribs Celery, diced
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3Lbs Red Potatoes, 3/4" Dice**
2T Fine Chopped Fresh Parsley
1tsp Caraway Seed
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/2C AP Flour
4C Chicken Broth
1C White Wine
2C Heavy Cream
1tsp Maggi Seasoning, optional but traditional.
1tsp Black Pepper
Salt or Chix Base to taste.

Note: * Knockwurst is classic but, Hot Dogs are a great substitute, slice about 1/2" thick. Brats work too. Remove from the casing and roll in about 1/2" balls, then saute just until Golden.

** I use Red Potatoes for a chunky soup and Yellow or Russet for pureed soup.

Add Butter to an 6QT stock pot and lightly brown the Sausage, remove and set aside.
Add Mirepoix, Herbs and Spices and saute until Onions are translucent.
Add Flour and make a Roux.
Add Broth and Wine and whisk to combine then add Potatoes.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
Add Sausage and cook until Potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
Add Cream, Maggi and Black Pepper. Bring just to a simmer.
Add Salt or Base to desired taste and serve.

Makes 8 Dinner Portions or about 16 Apps.

I'd take a log, peal the casing off and soak for about 6 hours in ice water and see if it helps. You may have to cut it in quarters.

You could also crumble it in eggs and potatoes for a good hash where all the salt comes from the meat.

Next, you could make "sloppy" joe type of sauce with no salt and crumble some into the sauce and see if u can make a "sloppy" joe type dish. I did that with some summer sausage that my father gave me that had fat out and it was awesome that way!

Next, next, as an experiment can u take like 1/4 of a log, cut that in half long ways and throw on a grill and see if the juices and fat come out and take the salt with it. Then try the flavor and you can make more crumbly like dishes with that meat such as hash, sloppy, joe, etc. It's a test so nothing to lose.

Finally, soups, and gumbos and such would be a good fit since the salt can leach out of the meat into the liquid.

I hope these ideas help :)

Reactions: donaltman3
Catfish bait maybe?
Sorry, I had to......painful to hear about that. I hate when I screw up something I worked hard on.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Maybe toss it in soup?
I boiled potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery for potato soup last night with garlic, black pepper ... after the potatoes were cooked through I turned off the heat and tossed in some milk, butter, cayenne pepper, and cubed summer sausage. I let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool down and for the flavors to meld... Tasted pretty dang good.

Reactions: tallbm
Potates can absorb Salty Water, so you can pull Salt out of Soup if you simmer a bunch then toss the Taters and add more water to the soup. But potatoes don't absorb salt raw siting in water. In this case, the soak in Water will do all the work, no Potatoes needed. Save the Taters for Soup.😆

I agree with you guys about Soup. Below is a good one that will use up some of your Summer Sausage nicely...JJ

This was given to me by my Father's best friend, who was a first generation German American ...

Authentic German Potato Soup

1Stk Butter
2Lbs Sausage of choice*
2C diced Onion
1C diced Leeks
4-5 Carrots, diced
4 Ribs Celery, diced
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3Lbs Red Potatoes, 3/4" Dice**
2T Fine Chopped Fresh Parsley
1tsp Caraway Seed
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/2C AP Flour
4C Chicken Broth
1C White Wine
2C Heavy Cream
1tsp Maggi Seasoning, optional but traditional.
1tsp Black Pepper
Salt or Chix Base to taste.

Note: * Knockwurst is classic but, Hot Dogs are a great substitute, slice about 1/2" thick. Brats work too. Remove from the casing and roll in about 1/2" balls, then saute just until Golden.

** I use Red Potatoes for a chunky soup and Yellow or Russet for pureed soup.

Add Butter to an 6QT stock pot and lightly brown the Sausage, remove and set aside.
Add Mirepoix, Herbs and Spices and saute until Onions are translucent.
Add Flour and make a Roux.
Add Broth and Wine and whisk to combine then add Potatoes.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
Add Sausage and cook until Potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
Add Cream, Maggi and Black Pepper. Bring just to a simmer.
Add Salt or Base to desired taste and serve.

Makes 8 Dinner Portions or about 16 Apps.
Wow similar to what I made last night, and I agree it was a great way to use some. I will try this one next !!!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
What I have done in this situation is crumble it & make gravy. Then put that on top of french-fries, rice or toast. Leaning towards SOS. I also hate to throw food out unless unsafe to eat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky