Hurricane Ida Forecast to Become a CAT4

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
This is going to be a no sh!t, 'Get the Hell Out of Dodge!' Cat4 strength hurricane or stronger.
Forecasting 140mph or stronger winds at landfall around the eye.
If I was looking at this coming at me I'd be gone today, headed west, north or east, anywhere out of it's direct landfall and inland path.
As it is I'm prepping tomorrow as if it is coming at us here in Mobile, AL.
To all our members in LA, and extreme southwest MS, if you ain't leaving you're gambling it all.
We'll pray for ya, stay safe.

Last edited:
Hoping the best for all of them as well, but this is something they go through every year just about. I’m sure they know what they can ride through and what to run from. CAT 4 on the gulf coast is not a new phenomenon in the region. Wishing all of our American brothers and sisters safety and wisdom on the gulf coast.

Hoping the best for all of them as well, but this is something they go through every year just about. I’m sure they know what they can ride through and what to run from. CAT 4 on the gulf coast is not a new phenomenon in the region. Wishing all of our American brothers and sisters safety and wisdom on the gulf coast.
No, it is not something we go through just about every year.
Yes, we generally have our idea of what we can weather and what we can't.
Yes, Cat4 hurricanes are not a new phenomenon, but making landfall on a specific area is not a regular occurrence and people make bad decisions to stay home for any number of reasons.
Any encouragement that might make somebody rethink a decision to 'Ride It Out' and instead opt to evacuate is a good thing.

I encourage any of our members in Lower Louisiana to evacuate before it's too late.
indaswamp indaswamp 73saint 73saint foamheart foamheart and any others that skip my mind.

Last edited:
Stay safe everyone. . Head up here to Michigan if ya need a place!!! Hope all is well with everyone down there!

Watching the weather....
This one is not going to be fun. Looks to be taking the track of Andrew back in 1992. They are calling for 60mph winds sustained and 85mph gusts here in town during the worst of it.

I just checked the offshore forecast:
Sunday seas 42ft. gusts over 100knots.....

let that sink in...42ft. waves...

Will be finishing up preparations tomorrow, tying down everything I can in the yard.

I am far enough inland...30 minles south of baton rouge. but the people living outside the levee system in New Orleans-those people need to GTFO NOW!

That's what I thought with hurricane Michael I'm 80-90 miles from the coast but when it passed about 20 miles west of us still a cat 4 or 5 I had to second guess being far enough from the coast

Reactions: chilerelleno
Stay Safe everyone in the path. Living inland from the coast does not always mean much to big storms. We lived 30 miles inland in NJ. Our damage was not Storm Surge but Wind, Power Outage and Flooding from heavy rain. I'm sure a lot of the older East Coast guys, especially the folks from NEPA, remember AGNES in '72. That Witch hit the Panhandle of Florida, dumping heavy rain causing Floods, through every state all the way up the East Coast states and in to Canada. It was the worst storm to ever hit the Coal Mining Towns in North East Pennsylvania, a couple hundred miles from the Jersey Coast...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky