How's Everyone Braving the Arctic Blast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FFchampMT

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Montana
Hasn't been above 0 degrees f for nearly a week here. Overnight lows have been in the -20 range. Had some cheeses I was going to cold smoke this weekend but I don't thing frozen smoking is a thing.
Luckily I picked up a sous vide on black Friday, so I'll be doing some steaks for valentine's day dinner. Looking like mid 30s next weekend, so the cheese and some more snack sticks can wait!
PicsArt_02-13-07.08.31.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: jaxgatorz
I'm doin OK, got a fridge full of good beer, got some Meat Church Texas Chili, got a pot of brown beans , got a couple of chucks for pot roast ........... can't cook outside ................but we ain't hurtin either . And some Steely Dan , Allman Bros, and Eric Clapton to listen to ................. let it snow, let it snow

Yea, it’s been really cold here in Northern Arkansas. Hasn’t been above freezing in a week. Been living here 15 years and this is the first for me. Never had it stayed this cold for so long. Wind chills as low as -12 during the day on Monday. Thank God I got a wood stove and gas heat in the house.

Reactions: FFchampMT
We have almost a foot of snow and temps in the mid 20 s. Not smoking anything. Not our usual winter
We had fall-like weather for most of December and all of January. Then last week the temps nose dived and it dropped 14" of snow. I did a pork butt in 25 degree weather, but setting up charcoal or even loading the electric in and out when you have to have a parka on for sub zero weather isn't something I'm excited to do!

Kinda chuckled, we went out for supper... when we left to come home car said -18, by the time we drove 30 miles south it said it was - 13, guess we should have kept going south! But supposed to be 30 degrees by next Saturday... WOO HOOOO!

Ryan

Prepping the steaks for Sous Vide tomorrow with the in-laws.

2 with SPG+coffee rub and 1 SPG. Our Albertson's had choice ribeyes for $5.77/lb, so it was an easy call.
PicsArt_02-13-08.21.35.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice looking steaks.
I've been dodging the sous vide method. Time to look into it?

I haven't seen above zero in 10 days.
Started out at -25°F this morning with a high of -15°F this afternoon. Tomorrow promises colder in the morning, but warming to possible single digits (still below zero) for a high?
Might see more seasonal by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wife already has meat and veggie skewers planned for the next cook on the kettle.

Nice looking steaks.
I've been dodging the sous vide method. Time to look into it?

I tried it as one of those 'experimental' things. It's actually been a really fun to play with.
I've done a chuck roast, beef short ribs, a bunch of steaks, veggies, even finished summer sausage with it, and the girlfriend likes the 'froached' eggs I can make with it.

I'd say the thing I like most is that a 3 hour, 132 degree bath takes a choice steak to prime-like. With a good hard cast iron sear to finish, it makes great steaks. I've bought on sale/cheap cuts the last few months with no hesitation because they don't come out tough.

Reactions: Fueling Around
'froached' eggs I can make with it.
Those are bomb. We love them.

As to the cold blast some of you are experiencing, I do feel for you. That bitter cold sucks. However I’m nestled right in the heart of the Rocky Mountains on my east and the San Juan range to my south. Elevation at the house is 6400’ current outside temp is +35* at 9:50pm. Rain forecasted for tomorrow. Highs in the 40’s. I know where you all are at with this, but I’m happy where I am at. Sorry,,, kinda.

• Haha
I have to work in this every day but it could be worse my parents are at -31 right now. I bought some feed for the deer they almost ate it all -18 and dropping.

What we always do here in the snow belt. Been in the single digits to low teens for 2 weeks now. About 14" of snow on the ground. And forecasting around 9 more Monday to Tuesday. Not much cooking outside.

We have about 15-18"now. It got to 28 yesterday. I did beef ribs yeasterday--5 hours at 250. I'm new and learning by trial and error. I wrapped one set of ribs after two hours and spritzed the other unwrapped ribs about every 30 minutes. I'll be wrapping all my ribs going forward. HUGE difference!! I'm doing about a 5# pork butt today.

Here in the southeast, we've been experiencing a "colder" front, temps were around 38℉ all day yesterday and almost steady rain. We don't handle the REALLY, REALLY cold and the snow very well here, but I almost wished that it would have snowed yesterday. Just a miserable day for us and more rain on the way through Tuesday morning.

Here in the land of Texas..going to be below 32 for the next few days starting tonight. Everyone is talking like it is the end of the world.
Stay home do not drive due to possible Ice/snow..Makes me laugh..If texans would not drive like Snow was white Lumpy Rain (Drive 70) They would be ok driving.........
Got a monster 15Lb Brisket I scored fom H.E.B. for $1.99lb in the Freezer...thinking of bringing it out.
(I must resist until March or April) but can I or should I...?

I thought I had it bad until I started looking at the posts here today.
About 31° and 14" right now in Everett, WA, which is unusual. No way my Dodge Challenger is moving in that stuff. I still kick myself for ever having sold my Jeep.
My boss is already texting us, because of a court mandate, at least one of us (out of about 8) absolutely has to be at work tomorrow. I hope it doesn't come down to me.

20210214_120415.jpg
20210214_120452.jpg

Here is part of my back deck. The snow you see is just what blew in underneath the overhang cover. But that won't keep me from grilling a 3.45 lb tomahawk steak tomorrow. Unless I'm stuck working in Seattle.
20210214_115602.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky