How to Build a Mailbox Mod for an MES Smoker (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was going to run to fleet farm and pick up a 5x8 but looking at my smoker I don't think it will fit in the left side of the element?will it have to go on bottom rack

I was going to run to fleet farm and pick up a 5x8 but looking at my smoker I don't think it will fit in the left side of the element?will it have to go on bottom rack

I haven't seen yours, but if it has a Gen #1 interior, the 5 X 8 was designed specifically to fit on the 2 support rods, to the left of your chip burner assembly. There will be about 1/4" of play there.
If it's any other MES 30, it should go on the bottom rack, all the way to the right, just above the chip dumper hole, so you can pull the dumper out to give it more air.
Can you post a Pic of your interior?

Bear

Looks like about 5"

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_172635556.jpg
    IMG_20200302_172635556.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 73
Looks like about 5"

OK---Now that I see it, that is a MES 30 Hybrid, with a Gen 2.5 interior.
For that one, you have to put the bottom rack in, and put the AMNPS all the way on the right end of that rack. That's where I put mine. Then I can pull the dumper out for more air flow, and back in for less air flow.

Bear

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Any other tips on the 5x8..I picked one up but can't keep it going has to be the air flow pull it out and it starts right up.I tried no dump tube and no difference..I put one of the tubes in and no problems

Any other tips on the 5x8..I picked one up but can't keep it going has to be the air flow pull it out and it starts right up.I tried no dump tube and no difference..I put one of the tubes in and no problems

So I would put the bottom rack in place, put the AMNPS on that rack, on the far right, above the chip dumper hole. Then pull the Dumper out about 3" to allow air flow to get to the AMNPS. If you get it going too good, you can push that dumper back in.

Fill Your AMNPS up to about 3/8" from the top----about 3 1/2 hours per row---11 hours per full tray.
Hold a propane torch through the hole in the end of the AMNPS for maybe 30 seconds, or until it has a flame. Then when the flame stops, blow on the hot cherry, until the flame comes back.
Let it burn until the flame disappears again. Blow on it until it lights up again.
Do this for about 20 minutes or more. If the flame stays awhile, you can do other stuff until it's time to blow on it again. Do this routine until you get a big deep, red cherry in the bottom of the row.
Then you should be able to put it in place, where I said. Sometimes you may have to remove it and get it going again, in the first hour or so, but once it gets going really good, it should keep going.

Bear

BTW: My method of lighting it may seem like a PITA, but it really doesn't take that much actual time at the AMNPS, and you can do other things nearby at the same time.
And it is Sooooo worth it when you can end up with up to 11 straight hours of the most perfect smoke you ever saw---Not too Heavy & Not too Light. All that without having to touch it.

Note: If you put a lot more pellets in than you needed, keep an old "t-spoon" handy for separating the burning red & black pellets from the untouched pellets. Then when it's all cooled off, you can save the unburned ones for next Time.

I usually try to hit it close, and just let it burn out.

Bear

I'll definitely try everything you said as I know when it works it's a great thing and the end result of great food is worth a little extra effort...I greatly appreciate your information

Still having a little draft problem with the tray even with the dump tray removed if I pull the tray out it takes right off any suggestions the tubes work great but looking for a little less smoke

Still having a little draft problem with the tray even with the dump tray removed if I pull the tray out it takes right off any suggestions the tubes work great but looking for a little less smoke

OK---Here's my Opinion on sequence:
#1. Your Profile doesn't say where you live, so I don't know what your altitude is. If you're at a high altitude, like 2000' or more, you definitely want to use the Tube.
#2. If not, then you should use the tray. If you're having trouble keeping it lit, then you should do what I already told you, but I'm assuming you're doing that, except I said to pull the dumper out about 3", but I didn't say remove it. You could pull it out 3" & rotate it 180 degrees. Pulling it out all the way isn't as good as 3" & rotate. Then Keep doing the "Cherry Building" awhile longer, until you have a good sized glowing Red Cherry deep in the bottom of the row.
#3. When all else fails, build yourself a Mailbox Mod, like is shown many places on this forum.
I never needed one in 9 years, but that in my book is the last resort, if all else fails.
#4. I encourage people to keep trying to build that Cherry, because It is so nice to be able to just get it lit & put it right in the smoker, and not have to screw around with another piece of equipment, and disconnecting it to cover it & uncover it. But if you gotta do it, and you're not at a high altitude, just go ahead & do it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky