how tight is to tight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike krantz

Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
minnesota
I've been using an old refrigerator for a year now and it works great. it's to small when it comes time for our rib feed and when we make our family sausage recipe. My father inlaw has a new spear house that was given to him and is to heavy for three guys to move on the ice. It has 2x4 walls and ceiling and is sprayed with polyeurathane insulation. I can keep the ins cool with no problems and seal it from the cooking space. But will it hold to much heat? It is 6'tx6'dx5'w

Its only going to hold the heat that's put to it. A better question, and maybe more what you are asking regards ventilation. It is obviously going to need airflow and draft, smoke needs to move throughout and eventually out of the smoker. You will need a smokestack and a fresh air intake vent of some kind.

I've got the air movement figured out even have a drying fan figured. Some times when I use my "refer smoker" if the heat is held in to long the smoke quits. but thinking about it now I probably get my chips to wet and when the elec element turns off on the temp control they won't keep burning due to much moisture in the chips. I just answered my own question. thanks mulepackin

What kind of electric element are you heating your chips with? Hot plates will turn off if they get too hot. You can bypass that. I generate my smoke seperately from my "cooking" heat to try to avoid this issue. However, I have burned up a couple hot plates that got too hot also.

I am using an electric element out of an electric stove top. and that is controled by the oven t stat i took off of the same unit. When I finish the ice house smoker it will be set up for hot or cold smoke. Not sure if I want to set it up for charcoal and wood chunks or keep the plan for another electric. I like the accuracy I can achive with the electric set up I've got

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky