How much and what type of jalapeno should I used for venison/pork sticks or summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I have my "basic" summer-sausage recipe fine tuned to my liking so now I need to know at what rate I should add diced jalapeno's to the batch.
Should they be fresh (de-seeded) or jarred?
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Can't help you with quantity but I use this in my fresh breakfast sausage. Has amazing flavor

Reactions: uncle eddie
I've used both fresh and the already chopped in the jar . The jar stuff makes it easy . I really only use the fresh because my son grows them .

Reactions: uncle eddie
Can't help you with quantity but I use this in my fresh breakfast sausage. Has amazing flavor

I must've missed this on the TSM website...thanks for posting!

I use jarred mount olive diced Jalapeno's in sausages. My experience with jarred is they give great flavor with minimal heat. You can adjust heat to your liking by adding peppers flakes or cayenne. I use 1-2 12oz jar drained jalapeno's per 20 lbs. meat or by how it looks in the meat when mixing.
1636669596536.jpeg

Boykjo

You have a recipe or bought mix you use? I haven't found one I really liked yet? Most are just ok to me.

You have a recipe or bought mix you use? I haven't found one I really liked yet? Most are just ok to me.

I was pretty happy with my last batch...I used TSM Jalapeno Herb according to the recipe on the container (4 oz. TSM seasoning per 10 lbs meat) and I added 1 level tablespoon of Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle seasoning per 5 pounds of meat. It is not spicy at all...just tastes like a pretty good summer sausage with some interesting spices. That is why I was asking about adding jalapenos...so I can jazz up some batches.

If I did have one complaint, the TSM sausage mixes are a bit salty, but not terribly so.

Reactions: pc farmer
I use jarred mount olive diced Jalapeno's in sausages. My experience with jarred is they give great flavor with minimal heat. You can adjust heat to your liking by adding peppers flakes or cayenne. I use 1-2 12oz jar drained jalapeno's per 20 lbs. meat or by how it looks in the meat when mixing.
View attachment 516030

Boykjo

Thanks! This gives me a starting point and then I can use my judgement from there.

I use jarred mount olive diced Jalapeno's in sausages.
Your own formula or premade mix? I like the idea of jarred but worried it could potentially be over salty with typical mixes and I do not have a formula of my own yet.

Dead set on developing a good formula for some jalapeno cheese summer sausage this winter. Based on what I've done and tried so far I think you need some jalapeno powder (or a jalapeno based mix) to get the flavor you really expect. I will try and report back but hope this thread grows with more info.

Your own formula or premade mix? I like the idea of jarred but worried it could potentially be over salty with typical mixes and I do not have a formula of my own yet.

Dead set on developing a good formula for some jalapeno cheese summer sausage this winter. Based on what I've done and tried so far I think you need some jalapeno powder (or a jalapeno based mix) to get the flavor you really expect. I will try and report back but hope this thread grows with more info.

My own formula's but it wouldn't make any difference with a pre mix. It doesn't add any extra salt or salty taste, just jalapeno flavor and a great flavor to boot.
Adding these Jalapeno's and some cheese is what I think your looking for. You don't need jalapeno powder or or a jalapeno base mix to get the jalapeno flavor

A summer sausage recipe

Here's some kielbasa with japs and cheese in the mix.
` IMG_1661.JPG

Boykjo

View attachment 516030

Boykjo

1 - 2 jars per 20#'s???

My own formula's but it wouldn't make any difference with a pre mix. It doesn't add any extra salt or salty taste, just jalapeno flavor and a great flavor to boot.
Adding these Jalapeno's and some cheese is what I think your looking for. You don't need jalapeno powder or or a jalapeno base mix to get the jalapeno flavor
Boykjo
Great, thanks! LOOKS FANTASTIC! High temp cheese necessary?

1 - 2 jars per 20#'s???
Yes. anywhere between 1 to 2 12 oz. jars per 20 lbs of meat. It all depends how it looks in the meat when I'm mixing. I rarely make batches that are less than 20 lbs

Great, thanks! LOOKS FANTASTIC! High temp cheese necessary?

High temp cheese is a matter of preference. The Japs take the sausage to the next level and I prefer to keep the cheese out. When I make a batch with cheese and without cheese, everyone wants the one with the cheese. They all seem to get sad when all the cheese is gone.......lol

Boykjo

Reactions: zwiller
Guys - thanks for all the tips. I ended up making 21 pounds of venison/pork-butt (50/50) jalapeno/cheddar cheese sausage. I decided to go with 24 oz. of (Mt. Olive brand) jalapeno's (drained) and 5% high heat cheddar cheese. The test patty's were delicious and the heat was just right.

I just started the sausage drying in the smoker 30 minutes ago. I am looking forward to this evening for the true test!

Lesson learned this time around - I need to get a WAY bigger container to mix the sausage in.

uncle eddie uncle eddie How'd it turn out? Starting to research again. I think I will forgo a ferment when running some with the pickled japs. I ran the numbers and you used 6.25% which is inline with what I have seen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky