How long is too long in the Cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
Put a rack of St Louis Style Ribs in the cure bath Tuesday the 15th with a plan to take out Tuesday the 22nd. Well life got in the way so it is still there, and without an opportunity to mess with it until at least tomorrow, which will be 14 days. Any thoughts on quality of the meat once finished? Any safety issues?

I used 1.5% salt, .75% sugar, weighed water and meat for total weight. And Cure #1 per popular calculator.

Rick

Last edited:
Well I'm guessing this same question has probably been asked about 38 times, so I'll go ahead and do another search.

Rick

Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE and DougE DougE . I understand the science with the equilibrium brine, and your answers are what I assumed (and hoping) would be relating to the quality issue.

And also verifying the safety factor. Now that it is "cured", which happened after just three or four days in the brine, I am now safe to a much extended time frame before spoilage kicks in; whether it’s in a brine, or resting and drying, or in the smoker.

Rick

And also verifying the safety factor. Now that it is "cured", which happened after just three or four days in the brine, I am now safe to a much extended time frame before spoilage kicks in; whether it’s in a brine, or resting and drying, or in the smoker.

Rick

That is correct Rick.
Al

Reactions: Cody_Mack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky