How long do u let bacon rest after smoking to slice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
IMG_7550.JPG
It would work best for my schedule to take it to the butcher tomorrow becuase I work Monday- Friday. Would under a 24 hour rest in the fridge be a problem or lose flavor? I live out in the hills so having to go home after work and getting my bacon then going back to the butcher would kinda be a pain in the but doable if it's worth waiting. Also I could maybe take it in a cooler. Put it on Ice if that's ok? Thanks

I don't have a wire rack. I might be able to use one of the racks on my Weber grill or come up with something else or just go buy one lol. Thanks Dave! I got 2 butchers who will slice it up for a good deal. 20$

I left my buckboard bacon uncovered on a rack in my garage for a week. Temps were in the lower 40's. The flavor was so much better than fresh from the smoker. Wrapped loosely in parchment paper and put in fridge again on a wire rack for another week. I don't know why I wrapped it. The flavor was better yet. I think it was a combination of the smoke having a chance to fully permeate and the loss of moisture that intensified the flavor.
I would let it rest in the fridge and take it to be sliced at your convenience. It's only going to get better.

Reactions: motolife313
IMG_7569.JPG
IMG_7566.JPG
I've got it in the fridge on a Weber BBQ grill rack. It's working and looking great. I'm going to try and wait till Wednesday or Thursday. Possibly Friday

Last edited:
I let my most recent batch age in the fridge for 7 days. Worth it for 2 reason. 1st, best batch of bacon I’ve ever made. 2nd, and more importantly, every time I opened the fridge for the next 2 months to get a beer, I smelled bacon!

Yes, the benefits of your bacon will linger for some time.

I don't have a wire rack. I might be able to use one of the racks on my Weber grill or come up with something else or just go buy one lol. Thanks Dave! I got 2 butchers who will slice it up for a good deal. 20$
You need to skin the pork belly and get belly cold as possible b4 slicing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky