How does one get crispy bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the temp range. One more question. Do you take internal temp of slab to a certain temp or smoke at 130 for a certain amount of time? I took my previous slabs to 150 internal.
I do not have a cold smoke generator. What is the best method for cold smoking and how long is the process?
Thanks all for the comments.

Al

Personally, I Smoke my Belly Bacon for the length of One AMNPS filling, which is about 11 hours. After 11 hours of between 100° and 130° Smoker temp, I always have Great color & flavor. Under 100° would take twice that long to get the same color & flavor. I don't worry about what the internal temp is, but I've seen it in the 110° to 120° range.

As for CB & BBB I start out low, but gradually increase the smoker temp until the meat gets to 145° IT.

Bear

Bake on a wire rack in the oven at 325 until crisp as you like...

008.JPG

I have cured and smoked pork belly in an effort to make bacon on 2 separate occasions. The flavor has been fine both times but when I cook it, I cannot get a crispy finish. I like the chew when I eat it plain, but not so much when I make a BLT. One bite pulls the whole strip into my mouth :).
Any suggestions?
Al
Kind of a geeky article about crispy bacon, but does somewhat confirm the "low and slow" cooking method stated often here on SMF. Certain it was written for store bought bacon, so take it for what it's worth......
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/baked-bacon-for-a-crowd-recipe.html

Personally, I Smoke my Belly Bacon for the length of One AMNPS filling, which is about 11 hours. After 11 hours of between 100° and 130° Smoker temp, I always have Great color & flavor. Under 100° would take twice that long to get the same color & flavor. I don't worry about what the internal temp is, but I've seen it in the 110° to 120° range.

As for CB & BBB I start out low, but gradually increase the smoker temp until the meat gets to 145° IT.

Bear

So, it's OK to keep cured solid meat between 40/140 for 11 hours?
But not cured sausage, right?

Also, does anyone "Cook" their bacon after smoking? (before frying?)

I used to be a retail meatcutter, and our slab bacon was smoked, and safe to eat as it came. Same with cured pig legs. Whole hams we cut up did not need any further cooking, and were safe to eat.
Commercial packaged bacon I was taught was cooked "UNLESS" the package said to "Cook Before Eating" or some such warning....

So, it's OK to keep cured solid meat between 40/140 for 11 hours?
But not cured sausage, right?

Also, does anyone "Cook" their bacon after smoking? (before frying?)

I used to be a retail meatcutter, and our slab bacon was smoked, and safe to eat as it came. Same with cured pig legs. Whole hams we cut up did not need any further cooking, and were safe to eat.
Commercial packaged bacon I was taught was cooked "UNLESS" the package said to "Cook Before Eating" or some such warning....

One of the main reasons for curing is so you can Smoke Low & Slow for longer than the 4 hours Danger Zone. Some guys take Days Cold Smoking their Bacon, without harm.

The Bacon has to get to 145° before eating----That could take place while Smoking, after Smoking, Frying, Grilling, Broiling, Baking, or any other time before eating.

Bear

And BearCarver, thanks for your contributions regarding Morton's TQ.

I just mixed up my first batch of meat, using the "Log" recipe, scaled down to my 2.5lb meat.
I measured twice the TQ to be sure it was good.

I have only one loaf pan 1" thick.
A friend has a semicommercial smoker, and will be smoking in the near future.

I"m going to be freezing this after is sits in the refer for 24 hours.
I'll dry it when ready to smoke.
I took a coupla pics.

Brad

Thanks Bear, that is what I needed to know.

does that 11 hours apply to ground meats also? or just whole muscles?

As far as I know 11 hours would be fine for sausage, as long as it's cured properly.
However you have to take it higher than 145°. I'm a little rusty---For cured sausage it's either 152° or 160°. I think it's 152° but I'd check with one of the many sausage hounds here, like Nepas, Dave, or Boykjo.

Bear

Wow,

Was away from my computer for the weekend and just caught up on my thread. Great conversation going on here. I enjoy getting info on all things smoking. I need to come around more often. Thanks all.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky