Honey, make some fireman chicken this weekend!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Ann was talking about Cornell chicken. She always forgets the name of it! Who am I to argue?

Took 2 pounds of boneless/skinless thighs. And had them soaking in the cornell sauce.
1 cup vegetable oil.
1 egg
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tbs salt
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp pepper.
Put in a bowl or large measuring cup. And mix well. You want the sauce to become white.
I use my boat motor.
Put in large zip lock bag and put in fridge for at least 24 hours.
I cooked it on the weber. couple minutes of direct heat for both sides. Then indirect until done.
Also threw some corn on the cob on the grill.
And salt taters on the stove.
No cooking shots. Sorry. Was enjoying the weather. And the beer!

P7300452.JPG

If you never had this. I strongly encourage you to try it. It also works great with whole birds on a rotisserie. Or splits on the grill. The thighs work very well with their fat content. Very juicy and tender.

Last edited:
One of my favs for chicken Steve. You nailed it and man that's a pretty plated shot of it! The smell of that on the grill is intoxicating.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks good Steve, never had it but will have to give it a try, at least I can start the boat motor to mix it up.

Looks great! Keep wanting to try it and this is EXACTLY how I wanted to do it. Marinade and not baste.

I gotta be that guy that asks... "when you say boat motor, to what are you referring?". I automatically assume blender, but google translate did not help me here!

One of my favs for chicken Steve. You nailed it and man that's a pretty plated shot of it! The smell of that on the grill is intoxicating.
Thanks Jeff! In the summer here. You can't go a couple blocks on a weekend without smelling this.

Looks good Steve, never had it but will have to give it a try, at least I can start the boat motor to mix it up.
Lol! Thanks Jim!

Looks great! Keep wanting to try it and this is EXACTLY how I wanted to do it. Marinade and not baste.
Thank you! On whole chickens I'll baste.

That'll eat right there, Steve!! Where do I pull up a chair??
Thanks!

Sounds great and looks great Steve
making me hungry for chicken

I will have to try as this I think is new to me .

David
Thanks David! Give it a try. Even with the amount of vinegar. It isn't strong tasting.

Perfect ! It's so good . If you haven't tried it you're missing out . Like said above the smell of it cooking is insane . I go over coals the whole cook . Flip and baste . Brings the neighbors out of the house . 1960's backyard BBQ .
Thanks Chop!

Thanks!

I gotta be that guy that asks... "when you say boat motor, to what are you referring?". I automatically assume blender, but google translate did not help me here!
Lol! An immersion blender.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great. The boat motor comment also had me thinking…but I am just on a first cup of coffee. This is one I gotta try. Thanks.

Very nice Steve, very nice. The chicken sounds fantastic and you just gotta love grilled corn. So at the end of the day, was she happy?
Was enjoying the weather. And the beer!
Well in this part of the country I'd be batting about .500 The weather has been anything but enjoyable. Beer on the other hand is the only thing that makes the weather tolerable :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Been looking at recipes and most as well as the offical Cornell version shows poultry seasoning. Typo, omitted, or?

That looks wonderful Steve, got to try that sauce. Got bird thighs going on the Weber later today, not enough time for the marinating recommendation, maybe next time. RAY

Very nice Steve, very nice. The chicken sounds fantastic and you just gotta love grilled corn. So at the end of the day, was she happy?

Well in this part of the country I'd be batting about .500 The weather has been anything but enjoyable. Beer on the other hand is the only thing that makes the weather tolerable :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks! She was pleased! Beer makes almost everything tolerable!

Been looking at recipes and most as well as the offical Cornell version shows poultry seasoning. Typo, omitted, or?
Good catch! I forgot to include that. I use 2 tsp of poultry seasoning. Thank you.

That looks wonderful Steve, got to try that sauce. Got bird thighs going on the Weber later today, not enough time for the marinating recommendation, maybe next time. RAY
Thanks Ray!

Reactions: zwiller
I love Cornell chicken and yours looks great Steve! There’s always someone making it around here. Think I might do some this weekend!

I love Cornell chicken and yours looks great Steve! There’s always someone making it around here. Think I might do some this weekend!
Thanks Bud! I'm thinking about doing it again this weekend. With more BBQ corn on the cob. Love that stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky