Homemade Chicken Gyros with homemade Tzatziki Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
Homemade Chicken Gyros with homemade Tzatziki Sauce

1688590961575.png

FOR THE TZATZIKI SAUCE

¾ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup grated English cucumber, squeezed dry
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

To make the tzatziki sauce, combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

2 pounds chicken tenderloins
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Pita flatbreads
2 cups shredded romaine

In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Marinate for at least 2 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Preheat grill to medium heat. Add chicken to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 8 minutes.

To serve, warm pitas on the grill, about 1-2 minutes per side. Halve pitas, and fill with chicken, romaine lettuce, and tzatziki sauce.

Man that looks good. The wife loves that stuff. She always makes me stop at the Mad Greek in Baker on our way to/from Las Vegas. Commercial drivers license gets a discount too.

Man that looks good. The wife loves that stuff. She always makes me stop at the Mad Greek in Baker on our way to/from Las Vegas. Commercial drivers license gets a discount too.

Thank you!
Now you can make it for her at home and surprise her!

Wow Charlie that's a true blast from the past. I'd totally forgotten about pita bread. I can remember when it was a popular craze in the 70s.

Your chicken gyros look and sound great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: kilo charlie
Wow Charlie that's a true blast from the past. I'd totally forgotten about pita bread. I can remember when it was a popular craze in the 70s.

Your chicken gyros look and sound great.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris! It's the first time I've bought pita bread in ages!

I'll be honest - the nest night I made a burrito with the left overs and it was just as good LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky