Hold Me I'm Scared!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

challenger

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Portage Wisconsin
Well not really. I'm doing up my first brisket and it's a biggun. 16.67# select from Wally World. It didn't need much fat trimming as the cap was about 1/4" thick already. I used Lee & Perrin's bold steak sauce before I put a 50-50 mix of salt and pepper. I am using an aluminum pan with racks about 2 1/2 inches off of the bottom to allow plenty of air flow around the meat. It's going in at 250° at 7PM and I will ad another batch of cherry and apple chunks around midnight. I'll sleep until 4AM to see where the temp is and probably foil the pan.

Wish me luck as this is my first brisket!

20210320_051649.jpg

20210320_051739.jpg

20210320_052548.jpg

20210320_052720.jpg

20210320_053953.jpg

Good luck!

I think you have a good plan, and using a pan along with the 250° pit temp is a good way to go for a select grade brisket. I agree that covering the pan will help the tenderness, but you can still un-cover a few hours later and firm up the bark for 30 minutes if you want. I see that TNJAKE TNJAKE mentioned injection, which I believe in.... but there is a rarely used method called a 'late injection'. Basically, you shoot some milder beefy broth into a brisket right before the wrap. Then ride it out. You don't want anything too salty or too beefy (like an early injection) because you don't have time for the flavors to cook into the meat. I'm talking something like an au-jus, just enough to keep it moist and add a little flavor.

Looks good so far. That's pretty big. Like all said above, sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Good plan.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
My only change would be to start it without the pan so the smoke perfumes all sides before the rendered fat starts flowing.

Reactions: Cabo
7AM at 153° internal temp.

20210320_200813.jpg

Just a few minutes ago at 170° and foiled over the pan and back in the smoker with two cups of my home made beef broth in the pan. Smells AWESOME!

20210321_022825.jpg

As you can see in the last picture I have a rack under the meat to hold it a couple of inches off of the bottom of the pan. I'm not worried about getting smoke on the underside of it.

Good plan.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
My only change would be to start it without the pan so the smoke perfumes all sides before the rendered fat starts flowing.

7AM at 153° internal temp.

View attachment 489948

Just a few minutes ago at 170° and foiled over the pan and back in the smoker with two cups of my home made beef broth in the pan. Smells AWESOME!

View attachment 489951

As you can see in the last picture I have a rack under the meat to hold it a couple of inches off of the bottom of the pan. I'm not worried about getting smoke on the underside of it.

Hmmm, And Why is that??
I put a Wire cooling rack under my Prime Rib & a few other things specifically to allow the smoke to get under the meat, instead of the meat laying in it's own juices & not getting any smoke on the bottom.

Bear

Reactions: PPG1 and MJB05615
I usually cook big stuff like Brisket right on the smoker's rack, with a catch pan on the rack below it. This way the juices go into the catch pan, while the meat gets all that delicious smoke all the way around it. Halfway through I flip it. (if I remember, lol.)

Out of the smoker, wrapped and into the cooler for a well deserved rest. This thing was floppin' like a piece of jell-o when I took it out of the pan. How long can I let this rest? The wife works 'til 11 tonite and I want to wait for her to cut it 5 hours from now.

20210320_170833_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky