Hmong Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
This is a recipe for an Oriental flavored sausage that I found and modified to suit me. Should be tasty and wish me luck.

Hmong Sausage

1 Kg course ground pork (70/30)
salt) 10g
Sugar) 10g
Fresh course black pepper) 3g
White pepper) 3g
Chinese 5 spice) 2g
2 cloves garlic fine minced
2 Tbs fresh grated ginger
2 green onions fine chopped
2 Tbs Chile garlic sauce (I’m using Lee Kum Kee brand)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 Tbs fish sauce
40ml sweet red wine.

Last edited:
Sounds Great!!!! I'm in for this for sure. I enjoy the Lap Xuong sweet Chinese sausage. I usually pick up a pack when I go to the Asian Market. I see this is not sweet but the flavor profile looks very good to me. Can't wait to see the results.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
This is a recipe for an Oriental flavored sausage that I found and modified to suit me. Should be tasty and wish me luck.

Hmong Sausage

1 Kg course ground pork (70/30)
salt) 10g
Sugar) 10g
Fresh course black pepper) 3g
White pepper) 3g
Chinese 5 spice) 2g
2 cloves garlic fine minced
2 Tbs fresh grated ginger
2 green onions fine chopped
2 Tbs Chile garlic sauce (I’m using Lee Kum Kee brand)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 Tbs fish sauce
40ml sweet red wine.
Should be good, certainly flavors I love

Mixed up now let it sit in the fridge to marinate before stuffing.

I may go 22mm sheep casing on this. What do you think?

IMG_2052.jpeg

Sounds great! Looking good too, could just make some patties and fry them up, Hahaha!!
Haha! Normally I probably would, but it Mother’s Day and I’m thinking presentation with the fried rice and stuffed chicken wings.

• Haha
Reactions: Redicans
Stuffing for the wings. Green cabbage, carrot, garlic, portobello mushrooms, celery, chicken bouillon, Chinese 5 spice, and onion. Blanched in oil. Then cooled and added a few dashes of soy sauce and a few dashes of spiced rice wine vinegar. This stuff is delicious. Will go with the chicken very nice.

IMG_2054.jpeg

Stuffed in 32mm hog casings per my war department request. Was a good call btw. Did the fry test and it is spot on Asian flair. Very delicious. However the method of the process has to be altered. There are too many acids involved and the kill the bind, texture suffers. There are ways around this kind of but if you can get over the texture the flavors are amazing and very good.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: indaswamp
There are too many acids involved and the kill the bind, texture suffers. There are ways around this kind of but if you can get over the texture the flavors are amazing and very good.
I may be wrong, but I think there are going to have to be some trade offs to lose some of the acid to improve the texture.

I may be wrong, but I think there are going to have to be some trade offs to lose some of the acid to improve the texture.
I think method and technique can solve most of it. This isn’t a straightforward Polish sausage, but we can work around the issue.

Reactions: DougE
That's an interesting looking sausage. I'm always leary of 5 spice. Every recipe I've made using it I reduce it by about 75%, and even then I tell myself it's still too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky