Hmmm... What To Smoke This Weekend, Suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
I did my first smoke on my modded SnP last weekend with 2 BCC that came out great. I'm since re-designed the baffle and seem to have corrected the temp imbalance from the left to right side. I have all day Saturday to smoke whatever I want, but I'm on the fence as what to do. My problem is most friends and family are going to be out of town so I need to think of something around the 3 lb range.
cool.gif
Leftovers aren't going to be a problem.

I thought of Salmon, but that only takes a few hours and I have all day and a fridge full of beer, so I need to come up with some beef or pork ideas, maybe a pork loin?

Remember that I'm pretty new to the smoking scene, but I'm very seasoned with charcoal grilling, and know my way around a kitchen, so something in the novice to intermediate range would be good.

Any suggestions would be great!!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Solar

y'all gitcherself some ribs, baby-backs or spares, don't matter none, git comfy, turn on some blues and enjoy yourself..that's what I aim to do....maybe even go crazy and commit to another briskte.....Mmmm smoked critters.....

Heck with that much time do a butt or a brisket shoot do em both. They freeze great and make excellent meals when you don't have time to smoke. I always try to keep some in the freezer. I vacuum seal meal sized bags then freeze them. When I need a quick meal I throw the sealed bag in some water to defrost then into a rice steamer to reheat. Most people including me can't tell the difference between fresh smoked and reheated this way. If you don't have a rice steamer any steamer should work I just bought a little electric steamer for making life easier.

Or you could do whole chickens eat what ya want and save the left overs for Smoked Chicken Caesar Salad lunches during the week
biggrin.gif

some turkey legs or breast sound good also..and since you are going to fire her up..throw a bunch of peppers in there and smoke em till they are dry.. that stuff makes a great addition to rubs and beans. ect..have fun....

Thanks for all the ideas guys!! I like Pineywoods idea of a brisket, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle that just yet. Then again sometimes it's better to jump in feet first and go for it.

On the way home I was thinking more about a beef and pork tenderloin and wrapping up some pearls in a blanket for something to nibble half way through with the loins. I like the idea of throwing the peppers on as well.

I have until Friday afternoon to make up my mind when I go to Sam's.

Any other ideas or tips?

Oh come on, you can do it (said wth a cajun dialect). I am smoking a brisket Saturday, will be my 2nd. I agree with Piney, leftovers will be great. The Mexican market near my house should be getting in fresh jalapenos tonight, so I think ABTs are in order as well.

All right, you talked me into it, I'm going to do a brisket. Keep a look out for my newbie questions in the BEEF section.
smile.gif

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve got a turkey in the fridge trying to thaw, maybe some chicken quarters and something cold to drink.

I'm heading to the Sam's Club right in your area tomorrow, (SR70) I'm getting one brisket, two maybe to much, but I possibly may get a tenderloin if the price is right.

mmmm gotto love that tenderloin. Did one for christmas dinner along with a side of salmon. Pricey but very very good christmas meal.

The sams here usually has some nice cuts of meat.

I've had pretty good luck with Sam's meat department, it's nice to able to buy a full cut of meat instead of what you get at Publix. My GF is a manager at Publix and the meat dept starts with some good cuts, it's what the butchers do to it afterwards.

and publix is better then most supermarkets.

You won't be far from oneco meats. I usually get my big cuts there. Scotty (owner) and his wife Patty are good people. Every friday they have some good smoked burgers for lunch.

Now why are you coming all the way down here? There has to be sams closer to ya.

Publix is a good store, if my GF heard me say any different I'd be in the dog house.

We moved our office from St. Pete to the new office/industrial park on SR70 and I-75 by Normans Liquor, timing couldn't have been worse, gas shot up just when we moved, but I digress....... I have to pick up some office supplies from Sam's Friday afternoon so I thought I'd might as well get my brisket while I'm there.

Where is oneco meats located? I'd much rather do business with a Mom and Pop place. There was a real good market in my area but they sold it and it hasn't been the same since.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky