hickory

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Stone Coyote

Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Hi,

I have several types of hickory trees on my farm, Bitternut, Shagbark, Shellbark, and Pignut, and plan on cutting and drying a nice stash for my 2 smokers.

Is there a variety that makes the best wood chunks for smoking, or will any type work well?

Rudy

Rudy- I can't say one was better for sure, but my dad's Bitternut hickory (and Pecan) from his property seemed to burn better (a little hotter and cleaner) than the Pignut I've got at the house.

I'd say maybe it was how he stored it, but he just lined the side of his pole barn with split logs from it so it gets at least a little water on it when it rains. My Bitternut was split and pretty much stayed in buckets in the shed and stayed bone dry.

All the pork and beef I've smoke with them is pretty close to the same. If I had to call one out, I'd say the Bitternut probably is a little mellow than my Pignut. But man, I would be hard pressed to taste test and tell you which was which.

I agree with js0813.I have Pignut and Bitternut,the Pignut is stronger than the Bitternut.From what I have read,the Bitternut's relation to Pecan is a closer one than that of the Pignut.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! I think I'll try them all and pick a winner.

Anyone ever use Shagbark? The woods here are full of it.

If the Bitternut is close to Pecan, I'm sure I'll like it.

Rudy

Sure haven’t tried any Shagbark yet, but would like to. I’ll see if my buddy has some, I think he dropped some earlier this year.

Last year, a friend brought me a half dump truck load of hickory chips from a tree he was hired to drop. I went into cart wheels shoutin' Hallelujah.

I'm pretty lucky to have an assortment of Ohio smoking woods here at the farm.

I have a stash of cherry, maple, oak, and apple. Hickory soon to be added to the list.

I've had really good luck with hard maple in the smokers. It gives a nice, light, flavor. And free....LOL!

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
tree-DMID1-5g4nkoerm-640x480.jpg

Here's your firewood. 200 yo red oak in Hillsborough, NC. Bring big saw and splitter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky