Hey guys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
MICHLITCHSPOKANESPICE MICHLITCHSPOKANESPICE , What would be the lowest percentage of salt you would recommend for a low salt sausage for people on a low salt diet? Also, if you replace some of the sodium with potassium, what is the highest percentage of potassium you would recommend? Thanks.
Technically it doesn't need any salt other than the cure. I don't know it would taste as good. I've been trying to work on low/no salt blends and getting them to taste good is really hard without salt. But from a technical stand point, if you are adding the correct amount of pink salt, then no extra is needed. I try to add more citrus or citric acid when I'm doing a no salt blend. Now I don't do potassium, so I don't have an answer for that question. I just use citric acid or like lemon powder instead of salt.

Reactions: indaswamp
I try to add more citrus or citric acid when I'm doing a no salt blend.
I know that the lower the pH of the meat paste falls, the less binding of the proteins you will have. I ran into this problem when making my pineapple sausage. How are you counteracting this effect with higher citric acid percentages used? Do you use phosphates (which tend to raise the pH)?

I know that the lower the pH of the meat paste falls, the less binding of the proteins you will have. I ran into this problem when making my pineapple sausage. How are you counteracting this effect with higher citric acid percentages used? Do you use phosphates (which tend to raise the pH)?
I don't make low salt sausage, so I'm unsure of the correct answer to this question. The low salt blends I have made were not specified for sausage making. As far as your question goes, the only salt needed is the cure, and from experience with making no/low salt blends, citrus and citric acid help replace the salt "tang". I think Google might be your best bet to find the answers your looking for.

I don't make low salt sausage, so I'm unsure of the correct answer to this question. The low salt blends I have made were not specified for sausage making. As far as your question goes, the only salt needed is the cure, and from experience with making no/low salt blends, citrus and citric acid help replace the salt "tang". I think Google might be your best bet to find the answers your looking for.
I found this in a book we own.

Attachments

• IMG-8188.JPG
    IMG-8188.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for posting that. I knew most of it... did not know that dextrose acted as a binder though. The guidelines given on salt reduction to 1/3 of normal is along the lines of what I have found, as well as through the discussions on this site.

As far as salt alone killing trichinosis, well that is a myth. Salt +drying + a significant drop in pH is necessary to kill Trichinosis. I id a lot of research online into this because I deal with a lot of wild hogs. Here is a link to a thread and research papers on the subject...
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/dry-curing-and-trichinae-parasites.312307/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky