Help with Lebanon Bolo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benmar

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Grayville, IL
I made a 10# batch of sweet Lebanon Bolo, using the post about 50# , cutting it down to proportions. It cooked a few degrees over what I aimed it to go, tried it today after setting overnight in fridge, am not crazy about it. For one thing it is mushy, does anyone know what I could have done to make it mushy? I ground it twice, not for sure how I screwed it up. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Ben

yes I used the citric acid, yes added after grinding and immediately before stuffing and cooking, and cooked it immediately after stuffing.

This is the recipe I used:

4# pork

6# lean beef

.21 kg leggs snack stick #116

.04 kg Butcher & Packer encapsulated citric acid

.09kg Lem soy protein

2 TBS liquid smoke

4 TBS brown sugar

Ground meat, mixed all but citric acid, reground meat and then added citric acid and stuffed, as soon as stuffed, hung in smoker with fan on, 80* temp for thirty minutes, and then raised heat to 125 for one hour and started smoke, and hour at 125 raised heat to 160 for 12 hours with continuous smoke. Wanted IT at 155, but slipped up to 165 when pulled and given a cold water bath. After 8 hours in frig, cut a slice and it is a mushy texture. Don't know if it will change as it sets in frig, or not. Just don't know what to expect. Thanks for any help you can give me. Ben

your method sounds spot on. (I'm guessing you mixed the ECA in the meat before stuffing) so I really can't say why it would be mushy unless your thermos are off and it was under cooked, I'm clueless

EDIT: I was just looking at B&P site and they recommend 1.5 oz (42g) to 25 pounds of meat, I'm a little rusty but I think 17g would be the max you want. to much ECA will cause the proteins to break down and make the meat mushy

Last edited:
If it doesn't get better after sitting in frig for a few days, I may try poaching a little and see if that helps?  Can't hurt it,

Thanks Ben

I finally see what my problem is, I used 40g of citric acid.  Well, I have 10# of dog food, guess I am one that has to learn the hard way. Won't make that mistake again. Thanks Ben

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky