Help, fire went out on Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobMalone

Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
I have a 16 lb packer brisket that I trimmed downed to about 12 lbs. rubbed with mustard and salt and pepper, no injection. Let sit out at room temp for a bit more than an hour. Threw it on 200 degree grill at midnight and let probes sit in from beginning that read 55 degrees. Woke up at 8am and fire was out and internal probe read 127 and grill temp was 80, outside temp was 72. I immediately got fire going again to 250. And meat got above 140 in about 45 minutes. I have no idea if meat got above 140 During initial cook and then dropped and how long the fire was out for. Do I need to toss or is it safe once I get brisket to 200?? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!! 🙏

Your fine like al said, if internal was at 127, the outside was definitely got over145 to kill all the bad stuff.

Your fine like al said, if internal was at 127, the outside was definitely got over145 to kill all the bad stuff.
Thank you! And is this true even if I had 2 probes in? No risk if bacteria based on having the probes in the entire time?

Thank you! And is this true even if I had 2 probes in? No risk if bacteria based on having the probes in the entire time?
I think there is always a little risk once you puncture the surface but personally I dont think 2 probes will hurt anything, now if you injected all over the brisket I would be more concerned , again this is my opinion

When you think about it there is no reason to stick your probe in a brisket until hour 4,5, or 6., and by then the surface baddies are all dead.

Injecting or jaccarding , would be a higher risk of spreading surface contamination, but I've done it for years.

Reactions: chopsaw
When you think about it there is no reason to stick your probe in a brisket until hour 4,5, or 6., and by then the surface baddies are all dead.

Injecting or jaccarding , would be a higher risk of spreading surface contamination, but I've done it for years.
This is a great point.
I would add, just place one probe on the grate surface so you can set the low/high alarm, telling you when the fire goes out, or a grease fire. No probe is needed in the meat to start.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky