Help Broken smoker! Do i turn to the oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Edude273

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Hello all! I "accidentally" ripped the hinge/door off of my smoker but I have BB ribs that I rubbed in lawry's cinnamon Chipotle last night. I usually smoke for 2-3 hours 250 then wrap in foil with some maple syrup and butter until they bend but don't break and then glaze with some stubbs. Can I do the steps in the oven since my smoker has decided to go topless? Or do I need to modify? Obviously they won't have the bark or the flavor I usually get but desperate times...

Yep, that should work fine. As you said you won't get the smoke flavor but they will cook and should still be good eating.

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade and buy a new smoker!

Duct tape it! No, wait, what they said……..ignore me.
EC2EE8A8-3DC7-4F6A-860E-690791DC70AB.jpeg

If you have a grill can do indirect for couple hours to get some smoke than oven. I do a high heat on kettle that takes less than 2 hours that are good.

Last edited:
Hello all! I "accidentally" ripped the hinge/door off of my smoker but I have BB ribs that I rubbed in lawry's cinnamon Chipotle last night. I usually smoke for 2-3 hours 250 then wrap in foil with some maple syrup and butter until they bend but don't break and then glaze with some stubbs. Can I do the steps in the oven since my smoker has decided to go topless? Or do I need to modify? Obviously they won't have the bark or the flavor I usually get but desperate times...
Hi there and welcome!

You can always treat an oven like a smoker without smoke so you should be fine.
I'm doing 3 chickens in the oven right now as though they were in the smoker but with my oven temp higher since it can go higher than my smoker and higher temps make the skin edible instead of rubbery.

My foul weather method for oven ribs: Trim, apply rub, wrap in Parchment paper then foil - meat side down and place in a 250 degree oven for 2 hours. After the 250 degree period unwrap and cut the foil/paper back so the paper/foil forms a pan, baste with BBQ sauce of choice and return to a 350 degree oven meat side up for another hour, baste about every 20 minutes. If you want smoke flavor add some liquid smoke to the sauce before applying it.

Turned out great! Finally finished at 10:30 after 12 hours or so. I think my smoker runs cool as the Thermoworks reported -20 offset. I notice no cayenne from the red cayenne pellets, so either the potency subsided as they are over a year old or they just don't do much.

Attachments

• IMG_6490.jpeg
    IMG_6490.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6492.jpeg
    IMG_6492.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky