Hello Yall!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dajain

Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
First, my name is Dave. Been grilling all my life and currently have a charcoal and gas grill but I am just now, at the age of 48, looking at getting into smoking, jerky making and such. We raise our own beef and will be getting about a tone of beef here in a week or 2. Can't wait to experiment on that smoked beef kielbasa!

Of course there are questions but I won't get into that here. I'll do some searching first as I'm sure I'm not the only one that has asked these questions.

I've tried smoking 3 times so far this winter. I live in Southern Utah so really cold climate isn't really a factor.

1. First time was with a borrowed and VERY cheap horizontal charcoal smoker. Had NO clue what I was doing and the meat came out WAY too smoky flavored. Especially for my wife. That was a beef roast

2. Second time, I had a vertical charcoal smoker (R2D2 type) and still not keen on what to do, the pork tenderloin came out too smoky again but was very tasty. Didn't have the fire right and had to finish that one on the grill

3. Third time. I made a stupid mistake with this pork tenderloin....I forgot to rinse off the brine before going into the smoker. Talk about salty!!!! haha But I had fire issues with this one also. Just cant seem to keep the heat up in this vertical smoker and there are no air controls on it except the front door.

So, wanting to create good smoked meats, I've been doing research and knowing that my big, common core problem is the heat control, yesterday I bought a propane smoker with the double door design. Waiting on delivery so haven't tried it but it makes sense to me. I'll be able to keep a constant temp, play with the amount of wood for the perfect smoky flavor for us and have fun doing it instead of constantly fighting the coals and heat. Did I make the right decision on going propane?

Well, it's time to start searching the forum and find some answers to my questions. Mostly about smoking times, Cure #1 salt, and hopefully some discussions about your favorite recipes.

Everyone have a blessed day!

Reactions: JC in GB
The more you grill.. the better you get ...knowing uour grill .. smokers idiosyncrasys is half the battle ...altho pellet grills are stupid proof ...

Reactions: dajain
Welcome from Iowa! Definitely the right place to be for information! You'll be fine with your propane smoker.

Ryan

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes! I have been searching thru the forums and have found many answers to my questions and so much more! I would have never thought about smoking Mac & Cheese! haha!

With the new smoker, would it be recommended to do a dry run (no meat) just to get out any factory smells? Wife is wanting another tenderloin and then, once we get our beef back from the butcher, homemade beef kielbasa!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes! I have been searching thru the forums and have found many answers to my questions and so much more! I would have never thought about smoking Mac & Cheese! haha!

With the new smoker, would it be recommended to do a dry run (no meat) just to get out any factory smells? Wife is wanting another tenderloin and then, once we get our beef back from the butcher, homemade beef kielbasa!

I would do a break in smoke as you said to remove oils and things from manufacturing.

Warren

Smoked mac and cheese is a national treasure

Welcome from Ga. You've already found out this is the best place to be. I agree do an empty burn in pre season high temp first. Often the owner's manual has suggestions for that.

I got the smoker all together and the owners manual said to do a low smoke (170 degrees) for 45-60 minutes. With everything open and the burner a low as it could go, it started to produce the blue smoke at about 165 but then stayed pretty steady at 180 for about 40 minutes. At the 1 hour mark, the temp was 195 degrees, still with everything open and on low.

After the 60 minutes was done, there was still wood available to smoke in the pan so I upped the temp to 230 and did that for another hour. Figured a little extra seasoning wouldn't hurt.

She produced the blue smoke the entire time.

From what I can see, water will have to be added about every hour of smoking. Does that sound about right?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky