Hello world!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SquareJerBear

Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

My name is Jeremy and I'm newly 'smoke-curious.' ;)

I like to build, and try new things, and this proclivity led me here.

I'm in my early 30's and never really did a whole lot of cooking. My wife usually handles most of the cooking.

Last year I became very interested in sous vide cooking. I've always liked steak, but the result was so variable that it was 50-50 disappointing.

Wifey thought it would be a waste of money, but I had done enough reading so that when I saw a water circulator on sale (for sous vide cooking) I bought it up.
Also purchased a food saver vacuum sealer, bags, and a small cooler.

I drilled a hole in the cooler, dropped the circulator in, and viola!

Purchased some steaks, prepared them, cooked the steaks for two hours @ 142ºf in a water bath, and did a sear on a cast iron pan using a patio stove I'd purchased for beer brewing.

Best steaks of my life! Better even so because my wife had to go back, but not grudgingly, and say how good they are. :p

Now I'm the steak maker, and it feels great. Friends all say they're the best. I feel like I've got the magic formula down for great steak.

I've tried steak, chicken, fish, eggs, etc. sous vide - all came out pretty good, though the eggs are still kind of iffy in my opinion.

Daydreams led me to consider other things sous vide, bigger challenges. Some people do beef briskets!

So I got a 12lb full packer beef brisket. Separated the point from the flat. Prepared and cooked them both at 155ºf for 30 hours, then smoked for three hours at 225º-250º (depended on how the wind was blowing haha).

I don't have an actual smoker, just a 4 burner grill. Did the trick where I put wood chips on one side over two active burners, and the meat on the opposite side so it gets indirect heat.

The brisket actually turned out pretty good, but I wish I would have cooked lower when doing sous vide .. like 145º or so for a little bit longer.

But I don't want good, I want great!

This is where you, the patrons of smokingmeatforums comes in - I need advice.

I've done some research, and have my eye on a propane smoker - the Cuisinart COS-244

Talk me out of buying this thing. :)

Anyone with experience using it? An alternate propane smoker you think is better?

Thanks for any suggestions or information!

I am a fan of a Master Built electric smoker for the precise temp control,yes I have a large propane smoker I have not used in several years,get a big electric and you may never want any thing else,me on the other hand don't stay stated for long lmao,traveling down the pellet road lately and not sure when I will stop trying different types of cooking

I have a MES 30. I did look hard at all the options, Pellet Grills, Propane Smokers, even stick burners like the OKJoe smoker.
But in the end, electric is what I've used for over 50 years. So I'm kind of use to it. And even at that, I had to modify the pea-doodles out of my MES to make it work my way.
I got more MES than I really needed, but then, I like leather interiors too. :oops:
But Cuisinart makes a damn fine looking Propane smoker IMO.

The bottom line is if it checks all the boxes for what you want it to do for you. Then, it's the right one for you. ;)

I'm not gonna try and talk you out of any type of smoker. However I will say that the WSM is my smoker of choice.
Welcome to the site. Have fun with whatever smoker you finally decide upon.

Chris

just curious to see how smoking has been with the cold smoker attachment. I got rid of mine due to it producing too much white billowing smoke. acrid taste. too much smoke. went the AMNPS route and am very happy now.

I use the mes 30 with the amnps with mailbox mod, works great never tried the cold smoke attachment ,let us know how you like it.

Hey all, just seeing a notification for these replies today.

I have used it with great success for pork ribs, pork loins, a Boston Butt, and a 14 lb turkey.

The only issue was with the turkey, the skin didn't turn out right. I used too much smoke on it and didn't pull it before temp to crisp up the skin in the oven.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with off flavors. I like a stronger smoky flavor, but I don't add too much on account of my family's tastes.

It might be in the way that I set it up.

20181211_170337.jpg

Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I haven't had any complaints from the ribs I've been nailing here lately.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement when I was first starting out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky