Hello new member here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Laftpig

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Hello all

New to almost everything. Just basic home grilling to my credit. Looking to expand to smoking, curing some hams and bacon, making sausage and some dry meats. I have read lots and lots but have zero experience. Have been collecting some equipment as I read on what’s needed to make the hobby easier. Still collecting but have enough to get started. Now all I need is to get started and get some help from all of you. I think a ham would be a good start. Thanks for listening.

Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you with us!
Why not start out with something easy like a chicken, or chicken parts!
Al

Oddegan: Thanks for the welcome I will certainly be asking questions.

Bluewhisper: My smoker is electric. Not a purest I know, but for me it’s going to be easy to handle and operate, at least I think so.

Smokinal : I’ve tried other people’s chicken that was smoked and really didn’t like it. The skin was so so tough and all I could taste was smoke when eating the meat. Kind of turned me off to smoked poultry but will give it try using a different method. Lots to learn as I love chicken.

Don't knock the electrics. Most members here have multiple devices including electric. I have an offset and an electric for smoking. I have a good old Weber Charcoal and a big old gasser for grilling. Use what you like. Get to know its quirks. It will make quality food better than anything you can buy.

Welcome - you will find this to be a great resource with some extremely helpful people. I joined a little over a year ago with zero experience under my belt and am now comfortably smoking with some great results. I still have a long way to go, but that'll come with time.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - very helpful and friendly group.

Oddegan
I’m by no meants knocking electric, hell I bought one. Just seems to be easier and much less expensive. Seems a bit small in the width department but plenty tall enough. I’m going to make great stuff with this thing.

Mcokevin I will be certainly following your advice. Thanks

No worries. I didn't think you were. My comment was meant more towards not worrying about the "Purists". Some people like to keep it all old school. I like to take naps and not pay attention. Whatever works for you. Cheers!

I have nothing against electrics and I'd like to hang around for a smoke to see how they're run. I have an offset and a Weber kettle; I first learned smoking on a smaller Weber.

Learning through experience is the main thing about a reliably successful smoke. As you mentioned, food can be made too smoky, and even when the technique is right many people here think certain woods are too strong-flavored. You just have to find out for yourself what you (and the people you're cooking for) prefer.

Last edited:
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a chilly, cloudy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky