Hello from SoCal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eyehatejosh

Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
So i joined this forum after some time of watching videos on smoking on youtube and deciding to ease myself into the hobby. Looking to by an Expert Grill Charcoal Water Smoker (about $35 at the local Walmart) to kinda dip my feet into smoking and see where it goes from there. My first test run will be trying my hand at a beer can chicken. I've looked at some recipes, and signed up for the 5 day eCourse (just got to chapter 2, thanks Jeff haha) and I'm just waiting till i can pick up the smoker and the required materials to get started. Anyways thats all for now, looking looking forward to sharing what i do fron this point on and learning some tips n tricks from the experienced smokers on the forum. Cheers from SoCal

You have come to the right place to get ideas, help, pointers, and to share. I think when I first started smoking I was checking cook times more than anything...you can find that here as well.

Good luck with that beer can chicken!

Cheers

Ed

giphy (2).gif

Good to have ya.. Take your time and have fun! Be safe!

You should be able to do some modifications on that smoker to get a longer and more controlled smoke using less charcoal. Some modifications would be just like what was done for years with the Brinkmann charcoal grills, aka (ECB) El Cheapo Brinkmann.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cold day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

You should be able to do some modifications on that smoker to get a longer and more controlled smoke using less charcoal. Some modifications would be just like what was done for years with the Brinkmann charcoal grills, aka (ECB) El Cheapo Brinkmann.

I insulated my barrel grill cook area and the side firebox and also I extended my chimney down closer to grill cook area and now I get more even temps across my cook area and better control of my heat. Now my heat and smoke come across closer to cook area in order to go up the chimney. I read about in Jeff's Ecourse and it works better than before.

20171014_173217.jpg

Nice! :cool:

I insulated my barrel grill cook area and the side firebox and also I extended my chimney down closer to grill cook area and now I get more even temps across my cook area and better control of my heat. Now my heat and smoke come across closer to cook area in order to go up the chimney. I read about in Jeff's Ecourse and it works better than before.

View attachment 342692

Reactions: SmokinRuss
Yea I couldn't believe it what a huge difference it made. I wish all barrel grill/smoker makers would make this adjustment. Although I use mine totally for smoking instead of direct heat grilling I had to throw out the warming rack for the chimney extension but who needs it when you're smoking really. I would like to pass this little tidbit onto everyone with a grill that's used for smoking cuz it really works!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky