Hello from Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

D.A.Stroecker

Original poster
Nov 3, 2017
I am new to the idea of processing our pigs, after a bad experience with our processor. Looking forward to learning all that I can before it is time to process our next pig. Thanks for the add.

Welcome to SMF. Great memebers here willing to help you on your journey.

I have a Blue Butt sow and a Hereford Boar. I have one of their piglets that is 4 1/2 months old that we will be processing soon, so I am trying to learn all that I can before that day comes.

Hi, welcome .

Have fun and be safe..
Johnny B

giphy (2).gif

Reactions: D.A.Stroecker
I have a Blue Butt sow and a Hereford Boar. I have one of their piglets that is 4 1/2 months old that we will be processing soon, so I am trying to learn all that I can before that day comes.

I would love to get some herefords to show, Found a guy in Indiana that raises them for show.

Hi from Michigan. I'm sure that you'll find all the info you can get in here. Lots of knowledgeable people in here.
Never hesitate to ask.
Rob

Well that's a good cross for tasty pork ! Oh and now you can get one of those livestock guns like on No Country For Old Men too.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

c farmer - My Hereford is a great boar. A friend knew that we were looking for a boar and happened to find him for us. Barney is from show lines (according to the gentleman that we got him from), but he is not registered. His temperament, even when breeding time, has been great. He loads and moves very easy, unlike my girls. I guess that I should say my girl now that I only have one of those left. I am interested in getting a couple more Herefords, just because of his temperament.

motocrash - We recently had a gilt that wouldn't settle processed and the meat is very tasty. Sorry, but I have no clue what you are talking about with the livestock gun on No Country for Old Men. Guess I need to look that up.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

c farmer - My Hereford is a great boar. A friend knew that we were looking for a boar and happened to find him for us. Barney is from show lines (according to the gentleman that we got him from), but he is not registered. His temperament, even when breeding time, has been great. He loads and moves very easy, unlike my girls. I guess that I should say my girl now that I only have one of those left. I am interested in getting a couple more Herefords, just because of his temperament.

Good temperment is a greet asset for pigs. Can you post a pic of your pig?? Never seen that cross.

motocrash - We recently had a gilt that wouldn't settle processed and the meat is very tasty. Sorry, but I have no clue what you are talking about with the livestock gun on No Country for Old Men. Guess I need to look that up.
I believe it's called a captive bolt gun.It'll take care of unruly animals quick without danger of ricochet from bullets.Production slaughter houses use them.

c farmer - I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. (Warning: There pen is muddy right now. Lots of rain lately.) Wilma is due to farrow again on Dec. 17th.

motocrash - Ricocheting is a big fear of mine. My husband will be doing the dispatching around here. I had no idea what they used at the slaughter house. Betty wasn't unruly, just wouldn't settle, so she had to go. She was the dominant one though. She was my largest, very tall and long.

I am in PA. Getting muddy here too. Will be all winter.

The land that I live on is pretty low, so it hold water, which makes things worse. I can't wait until I can move out of this swamp. I am waiting to see if we even get a winter this year. The temps. are still getting up in the 80's during the day and 60's and 70's at night. I am ready for some cooler weather, just no more rain.

Bit different weather here. We had snow the other day. In the 40's here now. Love winter. Can't wait til the ground freezes.

Yes, a big difference. My niece used to live in PA. I used to live in W.Va., a long time ago. It was beautiful and I loved the temps., but didn't like driving on the snow and ice. Came back down south and been here since. Will hopefully get out of the swamp one day. Don't want to go quite that far north again though. That one lane road, up and down the mountain, was enough for me.

Welcome D.A. to best place for smokers and meat-lovers. I'm sure you'll find lots of great info from smokers worldwide here you might be looking for. Try even doing a search for particular smoking meat topics and you'll be surprised what info you can find. Enjoy SMF

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky