Having smoke issues with A-Maze-N Smoker Tray - MES40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingrider78

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I have been smoking meat for quite some time and haven't had any issues with my MES40 other than the constant loading of chips during long smokes. When smoking with chips, there is quite a bit of smoke coming out the top vent, the window is unusable since there is enough smoke in the smoker that I can't see anything inside of it.

I have been trying to use the amnps for several smokes now and just can't seem to get it right. In Michigan, btw, 670 elevation.

My first attempt was just an empty smoker with no heat, just to see how it would react. I took the chip loader out, chip tray out, water pan out. Lit the pellets (pitmaster blend that came with the 5x8 tray) for 60 seconds with my torch, let them burn for 15 min, blew them out, blew on them again and they would re-light, blew them out again and put them in the smoker on the two little rails above the drip tray. Completely open top vent. Lots of smoke coming out, smoker full of smoke for several hours. Took the tray out and kept the pellets that hadn't burned yet.

2nd attempt, exactly the same as the first but added heat and some meat. Smoke for only about 20 minutes, then it just wouldn't stay lit. Monkeyed with it for 30 minutes, then finished off with regular chips.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th attempt went basically the same way. During those attempts I had microwaved the pellets first for a couple minutes, torched the pellets longer, let them burn for 20 minutes, have tried multiple locations in the smoker for the tray, and have even added a small fan to help exhaust the top vent and pull more air into the chip loader hole, then moved it to the chip loader hole for the next smoke. Airflow is really good using the little fan!

I have never let the meat finish with just the amnps since it doesn't seem to be putting out that much smoke (at least what I am used to with the chip tray), I have always just switched to the tray during the failed attempts.

How much smoke should I be seeing in the box an out of the top vent using the amnps? I am only seeing a faint whisp of smoke every 5-10 minutes while it is in the smoker and I can't see any smoke through the window.

Besides doing the mailbox mod, is there anything else that I can try? I was really hoping I could use this for long overnight smokes, but it doesn't seem like it will work well. Is the pitmaster blend a tough one to keep lit?

Any advice?

I have been smoking meat for quite some time and haven't had any issues with my MES40 other than the constant loading of chips during long smokes. When smoking with chips, there is quite a bit of smoke coming out the top vent, the window is unusable since there is enough smoke in the smoker that I can't see anything inside of it.

I have been trying to use the amnps for several smokes now and just can't seem to get it right. In Michigan, btw, 670 elevation.

My first attempt was just an empty smoker with no heat, just to see how it would react. I took the chip loader out, chip tray out, water pan out. Lit the pellets (pitmaster blend that came with the 5x8 tray) for 60 seconds with my torch, let them burn for 15 min, blew them out, blew on them again and they would re-light, blew them out again and put them in the smoker on the two little rails above the drip tray. Completely open top vent. Lots of smoke coming out, smoker full of smoke for several hours. Took the tray out and kept the pellets that hadn't burned yet.

2nd attempt, exactly the same as the first but added heat and some meat. Smoke for only about 20 minutes, then it just wouldn't stay lit. Monkeyed with it for 30 minutes, then finished off with regular chips.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th attempt went basically the same way. During those attempts I had microwaved the pellets first for a couple minutes, torched the pellets longer, let them burn for 20 minutes, have tried multiple locations in the smoker for the tray, and have even added a small fan to help exhaust the top vent and pull more air into the chip loader hole, then moved it to the chip loader hole for the next smoke. Airflow is really good using the little fan!

I have never let the meat finish with just the amnps since it doesn't seem to be putting out that much smoke (at least what I am used to with the chip tray), I have always just switched to the tray during the failed attempts.

How much smoke should I be seeing in the box an out of the top vent using the amnps? I am only seeing a faint whisp of smoke every 5-10 minutes while it is in the smoker and I can't see any smoke through the window.

Besides doing the mailbox mod, is there anything else that I can try? I was really hoping I could use this for long overnight smokes, but it doesn't seem like it will work well. Is the pitmaster blend a tough one to keep lit?

Any advice?
If you have not done this your problem is probably damp pellets.
the amount of pellets you are going to use need dried in a microwave for one minute do it two or three times I do it two times everytime I smoke something Good Luck!

Reactions: crazymoon
The MES is well insulated and once food is introduced to a heated MES there will be moisture!

Most folks will remove the chip tray and use the loader as a vent.Generally speaking pull it out about 1/4 of the way and leave it in the dump position.

Even after that I still had issues on occasion and started using a u-bolt modified tube burning dust:

You could try strictly hard wood pellets like hickory or maybe try dust. If you can smell smoke coming out of exhaust your getting enough you dont need it billowing out. Maybe try extending your exhaust with a soup can or something to make more ofa draft. I know you dont want the mailbox but that's the best thing I did to mine.

I have no issues with the tube . I did a trade with John and got one of his trays . It's an honor to have something he used , and smoked with . I can't get it to burn no matter what I try . Not giving up yet , but it gets frustrating for sure .

Reactions: jcam222

Any advice?

My replies in Red:
I have been smoking meat for quite some time and haven't had any issues with my MES40 other than the constant loading of chips during long smokes. When smoking with chips, there is quite a bit of smoke coming out the top vent, the window is unusable since there is enough smoke in the smoker that I can't see anything inside of it. If you can't see the back wall through the window, the smoke is too thick (Heavy).

I have been trying to use the amnps for several smokes now and just can't seem to get it right. In Michigan, btw, 670 elevation. 670' shouldn't hurt---mine is 300'.

My first attempt was just an empty smoker with no heat, just to see how it would react. I took the chip loader out, chip tray out, water pan out. Lit the pellets (pitmaster blend that came with the 5x8 tray) for 60 seconds with my torch, let them burn for 15 min, blew them out, blew on them again and they would re-light, blew them out again and put them in the smoker on the two little rails above the drip tray. Completely open top vent. Lots of smoke coming out, smoker full of smoke for several hours. Took the tray out and kept the pellets that hadn't burned yet. Worked pretty good here.

I only trust the amount of smoke I see through the window, because smoke coming out the top vent is partly from hot air from inside hitting cold air outside the vent. I want the smoke to be from slightly visible to fairly heavy, but not too thick to be able to see through it, to the back wall.

You could try using Dust. With all of the good things you've done, it should be working for you, unless you're using Cherry Pellets. That's the only time mine would behave like yours does.
I don't know which MES Generation you have, so I can't tell you the best place to put the AMNPS.

Any advice?
I rarely recommend the use of a "Mailbox", but yours could be one of those rare times.

Bear

I had that same tray, and found it to be unreliable. When it worked, it worked great. When it didn't, it was sad. I switched to an external smoke box.

edit: speeling

Last edited:
I use the tube and it's perfect every time. I tried the tray many times and would never stay lit.
I put some legs on mine ( tray ) a couple weeks ago . Need to try it again . I have 3 tubes , just want to get the tray going .

Reactions: MJB05615
I knew you had them . That's awesome . Do you have the cover I made for the top vent ?

Hmm, that's a good question.
I can't remember if I gave that to Warren, or if I gave it to the other guy who took my Gen #2.5 first. It worked Awesome!

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Before my mailbox mod I could not keep pellets going in the tray. No problems in the tube. Dust seems to burn much better when using the tray.
Maybe try another type of pellets. I had 1 bag of LJ hickory pellets that just absolutely would not stay lit. I would microwave them for a minute at a time up to three times. I finally just made dust out of them. The other bag of the hickory I had where no problem.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker

Any advice?
Hi there and welcome!

I think the guys are getting you sorted out.

I have always used a mailbox mod with my A-Maze-N Smoker Pellet tray with my MES40. I have helped a number of people who have MES30's build a mailbox mod because they could not keep a tray lit inside the MES.

As for smoke level, the goal is Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) where you can barely see the smoke and its thin and blue looking.

The main thing is that the pellets are burning and are going roughly 3-4 hours per row in the tray. I use 100% mesquite pellets for my briskets and often it is the thinnest smoke of all my different wood pellets. The flavor is there and the pellets don't stop burning and don't burn at a super slow rate so I know all is good.

I smoke everything imaginable (bacon, sausage, jerky, brisket, ribs, salmon, peppers for chili powder, etc.) so I knew the mailbox mod was the way for me to go. It allows me to cold smoke and hot smoke. It's greatest benefit is the separation of smoke generation from heat generation. I control them independently to do any smoke I can think of, even when no heat is involved :)

I hope this info helps out and keep at it. This is just the natural part of tweaking your setup and once you get it then you are set! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky