have you ever q-ed a cake?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brennan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2007
Lakewood, CO
I tried this recepie for a carmelized plum upside down cake last Sunday and the recepie said to grill the cake. so, instead of reachong for a cake pan, I grab my trusty 3 generation old cast iron skillet. I used natural lump charcoal for some added flavor in the cake and baked it at about medium indirect heat for probably 45 min. Let me tell you, smoke flavor in a cake is fantastic! I'll dig up the recepie tomorrow and post it here. It was out of a weber cookbook. I woulda posted pix but the cake disappeared.

I found a recipe for a Moonshiners Cake on another site I hit. Only problem is the cooking temps don't work with the temps we smoke at. But the recipe looked good. I'll post it if you want it.

I've cooked cakes many times over charcoal, especially at a deer camp that didn't have electricity. They are simple yet great.

Ingredients:
White cake mix (doesn't matter the brand ... just don't use chocolate).
Canned pie filling (such as cherries, apples, peaches)
Can of Sprite.

That's it. Nothing else. Mix the cake and Sprite then fold in the pie filling. Place in a dutch oven or cast iron skilliet. Set on a small pile of coals. 45 mins later the cake is ready. If you want more smoke flavor, just remove the lid for the last 15 mins. This cake will surprise you. No oil, no butter ... simple ... yet tastes outstanding.

Cake is dandy but tell me more about your flower pot smoker! I've been thinking along the same lines ever since I saw a Buddy's Camodo.

Now you got me thinking Dutch. I've been planning on making a bigger smoker to have more smoking area. *eyeballs his dremel* I think I have an idea...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky