Hanging meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
My better half bought us a Prime Brisket from Costco and I'm afraid it might be to large for my MES 30.
Have any of you ever tried hanging a brisket vertically in a smoker before or is that a dumb idea?

not sure about hanging it but could you separate the point from the flat, would it fit that way, i'm sure some of the pro's will be along to help you though.

not sure about hanging it but could you separate the point from the flat, would it fit that way, i'm sure some of the pro's will be along to help you though.
Yes, I could separate it but that kind of defeats the whole idea of smoking a brisket IMHO.
I have smoked flats before and they were quite good. Never smoked a point.

I do it all the time, this brisket was 17 pounds so I split in half lengthwise. What was your concern with hanging? And how much longer is it than your cooking grate?
OG2m4FT.jpg
nAAQxdg.jpg

I can make it fit assuming it will shrink as it cooks.
It is about 2 inches oversize. See grate on top of brisket in pan.

Attachments

• brisket oversize.JPG
    brisket oversize.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 16
This is a discussion we had last year .

I can make it fit assuming it will shrink as it cooks.
It is about 2 inches oversize. See grate on top of brisket in pan.
Then I'd go with something underneath like a small stainless mixing bowl and in a few hours it will have shrunk enough you can remove the prop and it will lay flat. Years ago a guy was going to start a brisket at midnight, and at the last second realized it was too long. I posted this little sketch and said, "shove a beer can under it".
FUpWNFS.jpg
The next morning he posted saying this worked great, but.... "next time I'm going to use an empty one".

You know, there is no "right answer" .... try it! If I were you, I'd tie a simple net, and hang that hunk of meat and let'er rip. It'll be fine! Take pictures to document how you did it (or it didn't happen!) and post your glorious results! I guarantee you you'll start a new trend!!

Well a little butcher's twine and some macrame knots and my brisket shrunk enough to easily fit on the grate.

Attachments

• tie 1.JPG
    tie 1.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
  • tie 2.JPG
    tie 2.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 22
I’m curious how this affects cooking time

It does shorten the time, but not by 1/2 or anything. the biggest advantage is you get flat and point on each half. We eat a half, and I triple wrap the other half with beefy broth. Now I have a reheatable pouch that takes about 1.5 hours at 250° in the oven.

I think I would just cut off enough of the thin end of the flat to make it fit.
Then grind the cut off section for burgers. I just did some & used brisket & pork belly ground together for some awesome burgers.
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
I think I would just cut off enough of the thin end of the flat to make it fit.
I wanted to comment on this . Maybe off topic a bit . I did that exact thing for other reasons . Intent was to grind , but forgot about it , and had already cleaned up . Since it was thawed , ( and it was 92 on my patio ) I used the instant pot to cook it for taco meat . My gosh it was good . I don't get that good of a pull test when I smoke it .
Have a plan for the trim and get a different meal or two out of the one packer .

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky