Ham Curing ingredient's amounts ?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ThanksMartin, but when i try to see what pink salt consisted from it was very simple ! look at this :
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/C/Curing-salts-6056.aspx

high grade salt + sugar + Nitrate + Nitrite !!

and watch this info, i guess it's really good :

[h2]Nitrate Safety Concerns[/h2]
There has been much concern over the consumption of Nitrates by the general public. Studies have shown that when nitrites combine with by-products of protein (amines in the stomach), that leads to the formation of nitrosamines which are carcinogenic (cancer causing) in laboratory animals. There was also a link that when Nitrates were used to cure bacon and the latter one was fried until crispy, it helped to create nitrosamines. In order to accomplish that the required temperatures had to be in the 600° F (315° C) range. Most meats are smoked and cooked well below 200° F (93° C) so they are not affected. Those findings started a lot of unnecessary panic in the 1970’s about the harmful effects of nitrates on our health. Millions of dollars were spent, a lot of research was done, many researchers had spent long sleepless nights seeking fame and glory, but no evidence was found that when Nitrates are used within the established limits they can pose any danger to our health.

A review of all scientific literature on nitrite by the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences indicates that nitrite does not directly harm us in any way. All this talk about the danger of nitrite in our meats pales in comparison with the amounts of Nitrates that are found in vegetables that we consume every day. The Nitrates get to them from the fertilizers which are used in agriculture. Don’t blame sausages for the Nitrates you consume, blame the farmer. It is more dangerous to one’s health to eat vegetables on a regular basis than a sausage.

above quote is from : http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/curing/nitrates

and btw, the calculation mentioned over the USAD is for PURE nitrate and nitrite, but NOT to CURE#1 or already Mixed Pink salt  !!

here we quote :
[h2]How Much Nitrite Can Be Used?[/h2]
For the curing process, sodium nitrite legally can be used at up to the following levels, set by the Meat Inspection Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal Regulations, 1974:
  • 2 pounds per 100 gallons pickle brine at the 10 percent pump level in the product
  • 1 ounce per 100 pounds meat (dry cured)
  • 1/4  ounce per 100 pounds chopped meat and/or meat by-product.
As established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in the Meat Inspection Regulations cited above, the use of nitrites, nitrates, or combinations of them cannot result in more than 200 parts per million (ppm), calculated as sodium nitrite, in the finished product. Parts per million can be calculated as follows:
ppm =grams sodium nitrite x 1 million
—————————————————
grams of cured meat sample
For example:
0.01 gram sodium nitrite x 1,000,000
———————————————————
50 grams cured meat
= 200 ppm sodium nitrite
Another way of expressing 200 ppm is to say it is 1 pound of sodium nitrite in 5,000 pounds of meat.

Effective June 15, 1978, the USDA changed the curing procedures of "pumped" bacon as follows: the use of sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate is prohibited; the level of ingoing sodium nitrite shall be 120 ppm (or 148 ppm potassium nitrite); the level of ingoing sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) or sodium erythorbate (isoascorbate) shall be 550 ppm. According to USDA surveys, these changes have resulted in bacon that does not form nitrosamines when cooked at 340 degrees F for 3 minutes on each side. These three changes apply only to pumped bacon and do not apply to dry cured bacon.

so to have 550ppm of Vitamin C for 1 Kilo of meat is:
550 ppm=0.55 grams Vitamin C X 1,000.000
—————————————————
1000 grams of cured meat sample
but what makes me worry is that this calculation doesn't take in consideration the Pump lvl and MORE important it has been divided on a GRAMS of MEAT instead of Mass of Brine !!

so what you think guys ?

Last edited:
and i would like to shrare this calculations with you and plz share your opinion 

the regulation of the USDA FSIS :

Nitrate in Regulations

7 lb to 100 gal pickle at 10% pump

1 LB = 0.453 grams

1 US gal = 3.78541

so     7 X 0.453 = 3171 GRAMS of Pure Nitrate for  (100 gl X 3.785) = 378.5 litter

so for 1 Litter of water :  3171 / 378.5 = 8.3 grams of Pure nitrate for 1 liter

is that what the regulation was trying to say ? 

You definitely can't make cure #1 or even cure #2 with just nitrate.
~Martin
By far I’m not trying to confuse this any more than I am about this, but I was thinking faster that I could get my point across. What I was trying to ask was, couldn't he mix the cure with salt and make cure #1 himself?

Cure #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt....but since he only has Nitrate he can’t…. 

CURE #2 6.25% nitrite and 1% nitrate or some are 5.67% nitrite and 3.63% nitrate…….

So to make Cure #2 you have to use both Nitrite and Nitrate ….

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128657/cure-2-heads-up

I’m still a little confused about the difference between Nitrate and Nitrite……Nitrate breaks down to nitrite, right? It’s a slower longer release than Nitrite…… And the reason we don't want to use pure Nitrate is because it's to strong and we (USDA) recommends using something milder because it is bad for you to consume to much of it.  Am I on the right track?

I have read that some are using plant extracts to cure with (celery juice)…..Have you (DiggingDogFarm) ever tried anything like that?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/01/cooking-with-kids-nitratefree-hot-dogs.html

You definitely can't make cure #1 or even cure #2 with just nitrate.
~Martin
By far I’m not trying to confuse this any more than I am about this, but I was thinking faster that I could get my point across. What I was trying to ask was, couldn't he mix the cure with salt and make cure #1 himself?

Cure #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt....but since he only has Nitrate he can’t…. 

CURE #2 6.25% nitrite and 1% nitrate or some are 5.67% nitrite and 3.63% nitrate…….

So to make Cure #2 you have to use both Nitrite and Nitrate ….

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128657/cure-2-heads-up

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’m still a little confused about the difference between Nitrate and Nitrite……Nitrate breaks down to nitrite, right?

I takes higher temps and bacteria to convert nitrate to nitrite... It is used in making "non refrigerated" products...

It’s a slower longer release than Nitrite... NO, It is a bacterial breakdown conversion under the right temp, humidity conditions...

…… And the reason we don't want to use pure Nitrate is because it's to strong and we (USDA) recommends using something milder because it is bad for you to consume to much of it. NO, it is difficult to accurately weigh and distribute the correct amount for curing in the concentrated form...

Am I on the right track?

I have read that some are using plant extracts to cure with (celery juice)Celery and other vegetables have nitrate in them..

…..Have you (DiggingDogFarm) ever tried anything like that?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/01/cooking-with-kids-nitratefree-hot-dogs.html

Last edited:
I’m still a little confused about the difference between Nitrate and Nitrite……Nitrate breaks down to nitrite, right?

I takes higher temps and bacteria to convert nitrate to nitrite... It is used in making "non refrigerated" products...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s a slower longer release than Nitrite... 

NO, It is a bacterial breakdown conversion under the right temp, humidity conditions...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And the reason we don't want to use pure Nitrate is because it's to strong and we (USDA) recommends using something milder because it is bad for you to consume to much of it.

NO, it is difficult to accurately weigh and distribute the correct amount for curing in the concentrated form...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Am I on the right track?

I have read that some are using plant extracts to cure with (celery juice)

Celery and other vegetables have nitrate in them..

insta cure #1 is Sodium Nitrite (salt peter) and regular salt with a color additive so yes you could make it. You could also just add the salt peter alone for a concentration of 125-180ppm in a brine but would not have the pretty pink color ... for the calculation see the link below.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/product..._Level_in_Brine_with_InstaCure_(Imperial).pdf

Do not use this method.... The cure is off by a factor of 10..... It is dangerous.....  DaveOmak edit

Last edited by a moderator:
insta cure #1 is Sodium Nitrite (salt peter) and regular salt with a color additive so yes you could make it. You could also just add the salt peter alone for a concentration of 125-180ppm in a brine but would not have the pretty pink color ... for the calculation see the link below.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/product..._Level_in_Brine_with_InstaCure_(Imperial).pdf

Whoa!!!!!

Cure#1 (6.25% Nitrite) is NOT saltpeter!!!!
Saltpeter is nitrate!

The pdf file contains errors and should not be used!

~Martin

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky