Hackjob BBQ doing it all wrong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdt

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Des Moines
I have been bugging a buddy about letting be be his teams slaveboy for a couple comps this summer, he tells he about two guys that he knows that cater that want a third guy to come into a comp team to split costs so I went to see the smoker and check them out on saturday night, I met them at the prescribed 9 pm, after a few budweisers and normal conversation we went out to check out the pit, its a nice big horizon, no issues.

We spent a few minutes cleaning and prepping some nice stainless steel tables he has.

Here is where the issues begin, he throws in a couple pieces of hickory and some normal kingsford (I'm thinking okay lump is expensive, catering gets kingford maybe) into the firebox and uses the log lighter to get it going, after a minute the logs are burning nicely he starts throwing in more wood, so now we got eight fairly big pieces of hickory burning like a campfire! door wide open to get the pit up to temp quicker?!

off to the basement kitchen he has setup, he starts pulling butts out of the fridge in his garage, the other guy starts cutting open the cryo and tells me to start putting mustard on them, thinking it was odd to not let them sit at least a little to get to near room temp(issue 2) I did as I was told and slathered them up pretty good, and me and the other guy move over to do some beans, 3 big pans that held two 3 lb cans each, off come the lids and then dumped right in, no draining(issue #3) the ketchup went in fine but I noticed when it came to the worschestor he used half the bottle on one and split the other half between the other two, same thing with the brown sugar, the amount put in declined down the line, ranch dressing poured in, precooked bacon added for flavoring and the beans are ready to go on(we'll call all that mess issue #3)

At this point I am thinking these guys need to watch some videos on youtube or read some SMF posts lol

During the bean ordeal the main guy had got the butts all dusted up with rub they go on, I notice the smoker is reading about 285 and mention it to him, he says they thems read a little high so it ain't nothing to worry about at this point(why not check with a digi issue 4)

Next comes the bb ribs ???, this catering is going down for sunday afternoon sometime, how is he cooking ribs at 11 pm? in four tinfoil pans with 10 racks standing up half filled with a sprite and apple cider vinegar mix and covered with foil is how!!! Seems he likes to cook/boil them up then hold them, rub and smoke again for a couple hours before the event.(issue 5)

He has a nice berkel slicer he uses to make meat and cheese trays, all sliced up ready for his wife and duagthers to make the trays, so we finally take a break to sit down and relax a minute, after about 15 minutes we went to check the smoker, he asks me to grab a bag from his pickup, he proceeds to step on the top of the bag a couple times(this is odd why is he breaking it up?) no he is not breaking it up he is compacting it so he can throw the entire thing bag and all into the firebox(issue 6-deal breaker for sure)

After sitting around for a little while longer and finishing the sixer I took I said my fairwells and said I would have to see if the wife will allow me to help them sometime again, and as a final insult to real que everywhere he says he need to run in the house and check on the briskets in the oven adding them things are really hard to cook on the smoker so he just finishes them up on the smoker after they hit 180 internal in the oven

Thanks to everyone at the SMF, if I didn't know any better I would be joining there comp team.

yep, maybe the fact that some people taste the blue bag is cause they are cooking it
biggrin.gif

How hard was it for you to hold your thoughts in? I think I would have walked long before you did.

I did a really good job of not saying anything negative to them, I just kept my mouth shut about the cooking, they were nascar fans so we spent alot of time talking about the 500 and upcoming season.

Regarding issue #2: Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a well known fact that the smoke ring formation stops when the meat hits 140 F. The longer it takes your meat to get up to 140 the better your smoke ring. This is why butts and brisket go on cold. In poultry however, the smoke ring is often mistaken as undercooking so chicken should always go on at room temp.

Catering and comps are 2 different things. For catering the object is maximum yield and low cost materials. Blue K is fine as long as you are using hardwood in the mix. If you were at a comp youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d be trimming all but 1/8 inch fat off those butts as well as injecting them with 1/2 quart of liquid as soon as it finished inspection. Youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d also be using only lump with a combo of hickory, oak and cherry hardwoods. Preferably the bark would have been removed as well.

Issue #3: Again – going for the yield. The more material that comes off the pit the more product you have. Nothing wrong with that. Beans arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a KCBS category last I knew. The amount of stuff added per pan wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t matter much if itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s all mixed together at some point but those are sloppy measurements to say the least. Doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sound like they care about cost at the point – too many beers by that point?

Issue #4 Is a concern if you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know your pit that well. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m big on measurement devices having both a stoker and a Guru. The tops teams these days will always have one or the other.

Urm – too bad about the ribs. The whole burning of the bag thing is downright funny. Based on this though I would think that they probably donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know about the 140 degree smoke ring science or TBS for that matter.

It might be fun to go with a comp with them to see if they tighten up their techniques. Do they have any bling from the comps?

-rob

An this feller is caterin eh? No wonder it be tough ta get jobs sometimes with the likes a him servin slop! Good choice on walkin JDT!

Not everbody is an expert, but ya should be learnin all the time an ifin yer makin that many mistakes, is the food even safe ta eat?! Makes ya wonder sumtimes don't it.

Got to laugh, when you think about it.
1) sombody is calling that bbq
2) sombody is paying for it
eek.gif

3) sombody thinks it's good
confused.gif

no bling, 37th of 54 at a non kcbs comp is his only try so far
he is not beating the bushes looking for catering jobs, his cousins 40th b day, his other cousins wedding, high school graduations, he has only done about a dozen gigs since he bought the pit in 2007 from what I could tell talking with him.
If one of these issues had come up I may be pumped about joining the venture but all these things make me think about consistency and getting good results everytime, boil a rib for 8 hours and I am sure it will have the fall off the bone results the layperson is looking for so I am sure alot of people think its really good que lol. Here in the midwest we got alot of side comps for beans so while I realize its not a kcbs category I think its still something a guy should have a reliable recipe (measured ingredients) to work from.
Thanks Yankee for pointing out butts and brisket can go on cold, I was under the impression you should let them come up a little before cooking, just goes to show you guys teach me new stuff all the time.

Only events with certified judges count - like MBN or KCBS. KCBS with blind boxes removes any favoritism.

I agree though - it's best not to join this team as you will be picking up some bad habits. I spend $200 - 300 a year for a competition class being taught by the winning NorthEast teams. Last year was I smell Smoke and this Year I-Que. These guys placed took 1st place walks in the AR and Jack so they know what they are doing. The $$$ paid for these courses more then made up for itself in prize money we took last year. I'm pretty sure there are many such classes out your way. Check out the KCBS website.

-rob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky