Guanciale 2023

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Totally forgot to post the guanciale I am curing from the pig head I got last Monday, so here it is....

Trimmed the cheeks to remove all gland material and soft fat, rinsed really well with vinegar to clean...
IMG_20231028_155958.jpg

Salt, cure#2, and Spices mixed up... I ran that through the spice grinder into a coarse powder...
IMG_20231028_155233.jpg

Ready to cure for 6-7 days, then I'll hang in the chamber to dry min. 4 months...but I like to let them go for about 9 months as it really develops the flavor profile.
IMG_20231028_160552.jpg

Looks good. Setting a calendar reminder for 9mo to know when to start bugging you for the Carbonara cook!

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Totally forgot to post the guanciale I am curing from the pig head I got last Monday, so here it is....

Trimmed the cheeks to remove all gland material and soft fat, rinsed really well with vinegar to clean...
View attachment 679554

Salt, cure#2, and Spices mixed up... I ran that through the spice grinder into a coarse powder...
View attachment 679553

Ready to cure for 6-7 days, then I'll hang in the chamber to dry min. 4 months...but I like to let them go for about 9 months as it really develops the flavor profile.
View attachment 679555
You. Are. The Man! Completely righteous bro!

This is another on my list "to do". We absolutely have similar tastes.

I love it.

Brad

Forgot to post the pic. of when I moved the Guanciale to the chamber to dry after curing...
IMG_20231105_205444.jpg

Behind the guanciale are the dried salami casings I use for my Culatello covers to slow down moisture loss and keep the humidity high around the Culatelli.

I’m in to the “long haul” if I started walking towards your place I could have a stroll along the and that would be done by time I show up….lol

• Haha
Nice! I finally found a source for jowls, so I can finally do this. For now I'm still doing the pancetta tesa.

If you can find a butcher shop that buys whole hogs, you can usually get the heads cheap. But make sure you get them super fresh! Preferably the day they breakdown the pig. It really is not a lot of work to remove the jowls....

If you can find a butcher shop that buys whole hogs, you can usually get the heads cheap. But make sure you get them super fresh! Preferably the day they breakdown the pig. It really is not a lot of work to remove the jowls....
We shall see. The place I finally found is when I was looking for back fat to start making salami. I bought a big bag maybe 4-5 lbs of frozen fat. I'll check out the jowl situation my next pass thru.

For salami, it really is best to use unfrozen fat....I'm talking about deep freeze here. Fat freezes at 27*F so lightly frozen is fine, like in a commercial refrigerator 27-32*F. This time of year, my butcher starts keeping fat on had regularly....fresh not frozen....

But use it if it is all you can get, as long as it is not old it should work ok. Ideally less than a month frozen...

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky