Ground Venison Jerky, New Approach Success!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Here's the Q-View then the writeup:
iiICUwD.jpg

odrcvrB.jpg

z6zkpXl.jpg

czQpbOf.jpg

So I think I may have reached the end of my jerky evolution hahaha.
This was the last 10 pounds of my 100% ground venison I had form last year's hunt [no hunting this year :( ]

Yep that is 10 pounds flattened into 4 sheets and loaded into the smoker on q-mats.
The meat was roughly just over 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick when smashed into sheets.
I smashed it flat onto parchment paper into rectangular shape that would fit onto my q-mats. No rolling pin just my hand with a glove on it smashed onto a sheet of parchment paper for each rack I was loading.

Before I took this leap I was doing the same BUT then taking a butter knife and forming my jerky strips before it went into the smoker. The problem is that left a lot of little pieces of meat that turned into jagged edges or points which is not friendly to the mouth. So after seeing someone post where they did think sheets and then cut with meet scissors I decided to take the leap and try it myself.
I won't be doing my jerky any other way!

This was done with 2 packs of LEM's Original Jerky seasoning. One pack was super old and the other pack was newer. It seems the newer seasoning is different from the older seasoning. I like the older one better as the new one has some sort of black flecks of something in it that kinda taste strong and I dont like them. I'm not sure what it is or maybe I'm taking a ton of fennel or something in the new seasoning that wasn't an ingredient in the old seasoning. Either way they came out good but I will be avoiding that flavor going forward.

My Evolution:
  • A long time ago I did whole muscle jerky in a dehydrator which was good but takes some effort with slicing and is way tougher in the teeth. I discovered ground meat jerky and it had so many advantages over sliced whole muscle jerky I switched to it.
  • I hunt and processing having a to of 100% of venison jerky was awesome since I could substitute it for anything ground beef that I eat AND still be able to do jerky when I wanted... Max flexibility here. Doing ground meat jerky I bought a jerky gun. It was nice but even the largest jerky cannon out there doesn't take even 2 pounds of meat and it's slow loading and messing with it. Plus there is more stuff to clean and not all of it dishwasher safe.
  • Next I saw people rolling out ground jerky into sheets so I gave it a shot and worked well but I would make my jerky strips using a butter knife to separate the meat with a butter knife. This left jagged points and areas of the jerky where the meat dehydrated so that was a downside. The upside was that I didnt use a roller and just smashed with my hand so WAY FEWER things getting dirty and having to clean up and the jerky process was WAY faster than the cannon. The jerky came out great as well
  • Finally, I have now done the whole sheet jerky which is even faster on time AND I just cut my strips to size with meat scissors. I can do a 10 pound batch of jerky faster than I could do jerky in any way I would do it before. Also this jerky is thicker which I was confident would work because the jerky cannon would do "tubes" of jerky which was this thicker or more and it came out fine. I have now confirmed it is all good to go AND I can load 10 pounds of meat into the smoker for doing nice big sized batches making it more bang for the buck with all the trouble and mess :)
Cook/Smoke Info:
  • Smoker Temp 200F
  • Applied smoke 3-4 hrs (mix of char oak, mesquite, alder)
  • Took roughly 5-6 hrs (i didnt time it I just put it in around 2-3pm and pulled around 7-8pm when done)
  • Rotated racks periodically (3 times total?) to evenly dehydrate the sheets

Anyhow thanks everyone for the inspiration and helping me get to this point. Now I just need to get back to deer hunting next year for more venison and I need to stay away from whatever the hell that seasoning is that I've encountered in 2 different jerky packs I've had on hand because I do NOT like the taste of it.
After I am done with all this jerky seasoning I was gifted or came came with equipment I will focus on my own simple jerky seasonings. I haven't had to because I had all of these packs to go through haha.

Let me know if you have any questions about this adventure :)

Last edited:
Looks like its gonna be delicious. Only question I have is.,,,,,,,Where do I line up for some? :emoji_laughing:
Jim

That does look excellent.
I was rolling out in one gallon zip lock bags but I could only get the 5# in the smoker then. I may just try flattening as much as possible and then maybe lay another piece of parchment paper on top to get it all uniform at least enough to cover the q-mats. I also gave up on the jerky canon, works good but time consuming.

Looks like its gonna be delicious. Only question I have is.,,,,,,,Where do I line up for some? :emoji_laughing:
Jim
Hahahaha I'm afraid there won't be any life by the time u get in line :P
Looks great love the color
Thanks! Yeah it has a great look to it. Nothing special on my end just the color of cure and venison :)

That does look excellent.
I was rolling out in one gallon zip lock bags but I could only get the 5# in the smoker then. I may just try flattening as much as possible and then maybe lay another piece of parchment paper on top to get it all uniform at least enough to cover the q-mats. I also gave up on the jerky canon, works good but time consuming.
Yeah my approach was to make sure I could get 10 pounds in and knowing how thick the tube jerky is I wasn't afraid of just having 4 sheets of this stuff as even as my eyeball and hand could flatten it haha. Just know that you will lose some meat sticking to the parchment paper but its just the cost of doing business :)

Sure looks good to me! And much faster

Ryan
Oh yeah much faster than any other method I have tried.
I think the only thing that MAY speed it up would be to use 2 gallon bags and see if they were big enough to fill and roll out. It would get more uniform and be faster but not sure if the size would match what I need. Maybe next time I'll experiment with it :)

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
  • Smoker Temp 200F
  • Took roughly 5-6 hrs (i didnt time it I just put it in around 2-3pm and pulled around 7-8pm when done)
It looks great. Did you leave it in the smoker the entire time or did you switch to a dehydrator after you applied the smoke?

• Smoker Temp 200F
It looks great. Did you leave it in the smoker the entire time or did you switch to a dehydrator after you applied the smoke?
Smoker the entire time. I do have an oven convection fan installed in my MES so I'm sure that helps things out some but I don't imagine an MES without a fan installation would fare too much differently. Just allot a good amount of time to do it like 8 hours and you should be in the ball park.

Adding that to my "to-do"list! Great write up and photos.
Thanks! I look forward to seeing what you make :)
Tall---Genius!!!
Nice Job!!
Love It !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks!

Oh towards the end I cut the sheets in half in the smoker and rotated the middle part to the outside. Forgot to mention that. At that point it was already whipped and is a logical thing to do :)

Just got a jerky gun and it came with nozzles for this kind of stuff and has me curious. Is the end product like the Jack Links beef steak things at the gas station?

Just got a jerky gun and it came with nozzles for this kind of stuff and has me curious. Is the end product like the Jack Links beef steak things at the gas station?
Yeah for the most part. Your jerky will be a lot purer and less greasy than those. I think they do extra things to make their jerky shelf stable hence there's having like an oil layer. Theirs is also a "chunkier" texture than what you will make. I'm not sure how they do that, I'm guessing a bigger grind.
You will love what you make and if like a lot of us you won't go back to sliced muscle jerky due to how good this stuff is and how much less of an overall hassle it is.
Pro tip, don't do bother with ground meat that has more than 12% fat. You have to wipe the fat/oil off a few times during the smoke/dehydration. Costco sales 88/12 so you can get by with it but the leaner the meat the better. With my 100% Venison burger grind I have no such issues at all :)

Looks great! It nice when you get it the way you want. Big like!
Oh yeah it is. Thanks Disco!

Reactions: zwiller
Great post C

Sorry to hear no hunting this year.
I passed up 12 deer on opening day. Never saw them again even after giving them a 5 day rest.

I detest the jerky others have given me that came out of a "cannon".

You and Winterrider Winterrider have me rethinking ground meat jerky

Great post C

Sorry to hear no hunting this year.
I passed up 12 deer on opening day. Never saw them again even after giving them a 5 day rest.

I detest the jerky others have given me that came out of a "cannon".

You and Winterrider Winterrider have me rethinking ground meat jerky
Oh man! I hope you get some shooters soon.
Ground jerky is the only way for me now. When procing 9-14 deer/pigs at once it becomes a matter of practicality to be as efficient as possible. Making jerky from 100% venison ground really helps me keep my processing as efficient as I can make it with my setup and practices.

Feel free to buy 1 pound of 90+ ground beef (leaner the better) when it is on sale and give it a shot! You will likely want to find a tried and true seasoning recipe vs buying jerky seasoning pack that may be hit or miss with flavor but since it's all small scale experimenting you can go either way. It's not like you may ruin a ton of meat :)

Deer hunting is done for the season. I got out for the 2 weekends of rifle (center fire), but never got out for muzzle due to health issues.
Forgot to ask if you used the Rooibos tea in the seasoning?
My wife drinks it all the time. Maybe if I told her it is in the seasoning ....

Deer hunting is done for the season. I got out for the 2 weekends of rifle (center fire), but never got out for muzzle due to health issues.
Forgot to ask if you used the Rooibos tea in the seasoning?
My wife drinks it all the time. Maybe if I told her it is in the seasoning ....

Its still goin here.
No hah no Rooibos in the seasoning, just had it on the counter. If i drink any caffeine I cant sleep so only non-caffeine teas and drinks for me :)

Reactions: Fueling Around
I deliberately hid my opinion of the beef steaks... LOVE them. Very much would like to replicate. Thanks for the cliff notes: fat content, larger grind, etc. My favorite is the pepper one and 99% sure there is no way to hit that pepper note with spices and will need an extract or an oleoresin as I see on the ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky