grinding hamburger ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rc4u

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 4, 2015
i usually buy cyrovaced whole rolled cuck roast in spring for my burger{best price then} i bought a few cyro whole sirlion tips for $2.88 average 12#'s. but so lean and i only have bacon to add for fat is that a done thing by any?? doing a 11.8 # today.. need some burger.

Reactions: jmusser
If you add bacon, it contains quite a bit of salt. The salt will diffuse into the beef when the bacon is mixed in. That salt will start extracting salt soluble proteins and the meat will become firmer.

That would be the only issue adding bacon to beef for ground meat, if you make hamburgers, the burgers would be firmer because of the salt...

I save all brisket trim fat from July 4th thru the end of the year to mix into deer meat for ground meat. Something to think about.
You may be able to ask the head butcher at the grocer meat counter if he can save some beef trim fat for you, Most just throw it away. You will have to pick through it though because if the grocer gets whole primal cuts, then the trim will have fat that is oxidized from the aging process.

You could also buy a fatty brisket and use the trim fat....cook the brisket...

thanks , as it looks itt would be 95+ percent lean. i had a 2# pack of bacon that has like no meat in last 1/3rd.. i always cut bacon slabs in half as easier to cook. so this time i did 1/3d's.. so 10 oz's will mix what i think is right. n maybe have some lean left for tacos n chili.
i save that fat also just dont have any right now..

I have friends that add one pound of bacon to every 4/5 pounds of lean venison for their burger needs each fall . I have eaten some and it is tasty as a burger BUT not good for chilis,spaghetti etc. IMHO

Adding Boston Butts is another option that we have done with deer meat. Just pick out some with a thicker fat cap and trim it off along with some of the meat. 30% is our target of pork to deer. Sometimes the smokiness of bacon can overpower some dishes, but we do use it. We like the ends and pieces that were mentioned by Dave..

Reactions: sawhorseray
You may be able to ask the head butcher at the grocer meat counter if he can save some beef trim fat for you, Most just throw it away. You will have to pick through it though because if the grocer gets whole primal cuts, then the trim will have fat that is oxidized from the aging process.....
Chain grocers' beef comes in so lean, there's hardly any fat to trim, no money in fat. And there's always those who are "connected" that get it first. I have a good friend who is the head meat cutter at a chain store and he can't hardly get any for himself for his own deer meat.

But it doesn't hurt to ask, just don't expect it to be free....

I have friends that add one pound of bacon to every 4/5 pounds of lean venison for their burger needs each fall . I have eaten some and it is tasty as a burger BUT not good for chilis,spaghetti etc. IMHO
That was my thought here too. I love bacon but doesn't sound as nice in everything. For burgs, hell ya! This year I have done better saving trim from other beef cuts.

I prefer beef fat in my veni burger. I have found beef fat for sale but felt like such a rip off. Amazing how much a trim bag fills up over time. Makes me see what I wasted over the years. Same with pork for sausages

I just made some burg too as the price keeps climbing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky