Grilled pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ooaaronoo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Had my first go with pizza on the grill. Tasted good.. but the stretching the dough is very difficult. Lmao

Attachments

• 20200426_183457.jpg
    20200426_183457.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200426_182307.jpg
    20200426_182307.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Love
Reactions: forktender
Hey, that looks a hell'of ah'lot better than my first pizza pies......you did great!!!

Did you use A.P. flour or 00 flour? I'm going to assume you either used AP or bread flour.

If you used AP or bread flour it's a bugger to bring out/ stretch/ open compared to 00 flour.

A combo of 50/50% bread flour and AP flour makes a great pizza you don't need the 00, if you're going to use 00 flour try using 75% 00 flour and 25% AP or better yet bread flour.

If you can find organic or at least non bromated flour splurge and pay the few extra dollars for the good stuff, like Central Mills organic flour or Bob's Red Mills organic non bleached flour which you can buy on Amazon, it makes a huge difference in the final product.

Did you let the dough rest overnight in the refer?

The best way to bring out AP or bread flour is to lay down a thin layer of flour or olive oil onto a nonstick surface such as a marble or stainless steel countertop. If you don't have access to either of those a Formica counter top will be fine even a smooth wooden cutting board will work just not as well as the above. With AP or bread or a combo of the two flours you really need give the dough an overnight rest, just place the divided dough balls in an olive oil coated bowl put the dough in the bowl then gently coat the dough balls with a little more EVOO and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or you can just put a plate over the bowl.

The next day take the dough balls out of the refer and let them sit covered for at least an hour, two hours would be better if the temp in your kitchen is 65 - 70 degrees, if your kitchen is 75* and hour would be fine.

OK, time to stretch/ bring out/ open the dough ball.
(remember the top of your dough ball ) The top of the dough ball should always be the top of your pie.
(Remember the top should always be the top)

Reason being is that the dough forms a thin skin that helps keep the sauce from making your pie soggy.

Now gently with the pads of three or four fingers on both hand gently start pressing out your dough from the center out always remember that you need to take care of the outside 1/2 - 3/4'' which will be your
crust /cornice. If you bugger up the outer edge the crust won't form properly no matter what you do to try to correct it.

Lightly flour the working surface first, then grab a dough ball and gently place in on a plate or pile of flour to coat both sides generously.

Here, I just realized that it would be much better for you to watch one of the pizza pro's bring out/ open his dough.

Pizza, will get in your blood if you're anything like me and making the perfect dough is 10X harder than making the perfect ribs or brisket.

I make 6 pie's a week and I have been at it for over a year and I still haven't made the perfect dough, I'm very close but I haven't said "that's what I'm talking about with my dough yet"

Unlike BBQing with my pizza dough I write every single change down in search of my version of the
"prefect dough" I'm completely obsessed over finding "my" perfect dough, one that I'm proud of and willing to share with others. I most likely will be buying a mobile wood fired pizza oven after I find my
"perfect dough" and start selling at farmers markets, state fairs,and local pizza parties at people's homes.

Pizza has taken over my perfecting cooking obsessions much like BBQ did 10 years ago with me.

I'm completely in obsessed with wood fired pizza at the moment.

Keep records of any and all changes you make with your dough, after you nail down your dough the sky is the limit with your toppings.

Great looking first pie's, keep at it you'll get it dialed in.

Best of luck too you.
Dan

P.S. consider using a sourdough starter in place of yeast, you'll thank me after you make the switch.
The sourdough starter pizza dough is much lighter and digestible and doesn't feel heavy in your stomach and it tastes SOOOO MUCH better than yeast dough, you'll love it

The sourdough natural leaven pizza dough is the thing that sunk the pizza bug hooks into me, I'm in love with it now.

Reactions: Jabiru
Holy smokes that's a long reply..but thank you for the info.. I did 3 cups of "00" and 1 cup of bread flour. I only let it rest 60 min then divided it up and let it rest another 30. Poor planning went into this. I had to go to 6 stores to find yeast . So we were gonna make it work. Next time in gonna make the dough the day before so it's not a rush. My kid was ready to eat.lol

Those pizzas look great from here . I make my dough up on Sundays , and use it thru the week . I like at least 3 days in the fridge for pizza , but have gone up to 7 . After sitting on the counter to warm back up it comes to life . Easy to stretch with no spring back . Light and airy with great chew .
Your pizza looks great , I'd be happy to have some right now .

Those pizzas look great from here . I make my dough up on Sundays , and use it thru the week . I like at least 3 days in the fridge for pizza , but have gone up to 7 . After sitting on the counter to warm back up it comes to life . Easy to stretch with no spring back . Light and airy with great chew .
Your pizza looks great , I'd be happy to have some right now .
chopsaw chopsaw

I made a double batch last evening. . .Preparing the dough balls this evening (I prefer the 24 hour fermentation) for a Pizzafest this weekend! Hopefully if it is nice weather I will use my grills for the baking. Ohhhhhhh, Pizza!

John

Reactions: chopsaw
Thank you for the kind words and info.. definitely will be doing more. The wife was knocking me about trying this.. then ate is and was like it's pretty damn good

Did you use A.P. flour or 00 flour? I'm going to assume you either used AP or bread flour.
Dan,

I use predomanatly Bread Flour. I find that it gives a more pizzaeria style and textured crust.

Are you having trouble finding Bread Flour in your neck of the woods?

Here in Pittsburgh the market shelves have been devoid of it since all the hoarders attacked the grocery market shelves when this horrible crisis began. There is no yeast either.

Still haven't gotten any reasonable explanation as to why.

John

Reactions: forktender
Dan,

I use predomanatly Bread Flour. I find that it gives a more pizzaeria style and textured crust.

Are you having trouble finding Bread Flour in your neck of the woods?

Here in Pittsburgh the market shelves have been devoid of it since all the hoarders attacked the grocery market shelves when this horrible crisis began. There is no yeast either.

Still haven't gotten any reasonable explanation as to why.

John
Every store I went to had something I needed.. never could get everything at one place.

Hell yeah man that pizza looks great! Better than the first ones I did for sure. What temp did you bake it at on the grill?
550 . I found 4 min then rotate 3 mins came out good.. I only burnt a little of the bottoms of a few. I made 5 last night.. the first one I made was burnt the worst

John,
Have you tried a 50/50 blend of AP and BF? If not try it next time you make a pizza It will make the crust a little lighter, not really lighter I guess.... just a little less chewy if that makes sense?

Central Mills Flour in Petaluma is about 40 minutes from my house good thing too because the stores have been so hit or miss with good flour lately. I ended up buying 50 lbs of the organic 00 pizza/pasta flour and 50 lbs of a blend that they make it's a cross between AP and bread flour good for sourdough bread and most baking needs.

Yeast has been easy to find except for the first few weeks of the shutdown where it was nonexistent for a while now even the supermarkets are selling small plastic cup full of yeast from their bakeries for $4-$6.00 which isn't bad at all. I buy 1lb bricks if Red Star yeast for $4-$5 from one of the local restaurant supply stores in town, they've had them about every other time I've been there They also have 75lb bags of All Trumps pizza flour and a few different types of Bob's Red Mills flower mainly all big bulk bags .

I'm set as far as flour and yeast goes for a while now, I hardly ever use yeast anymore unless I'm in a rush and don't feel like pulling my S.D. starter out of the refer .

I can get yeast if you need any, just let me know.

Last edited:
Holy smokes that's a long reply..but thank you for the info.. I did 3 cups of "00" and 1 cup of bread flour. I only let it rest 60 min then divided it up and let it rest another 30. Poor planning went into this. I had to go to 6 stores to find yeast . So we were gonna make it work. Next time in gonna make the dough the day before so it's not a rush. My kid was ready to eat.lol
I went off on one of my pizza tangents once again, I can't help myself....lol!!!

If you have problems opening dough, you need to let it work up more before spreading it out.
When the dough is colder its more elastic and the gluten is tight. I let my dough rest at room temp from the fridge for 2-3 hours to warm up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky