Graduation party question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NefariousTrashMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 28, 2022
Missouri
My son’s graduation party is coming up soon and I am planning on smoking 4 pork butts. Is there any tips I should know for smoking multiple at once? I have smoked several butts but only one at a time. I have an old country pecos offset that I have modified some and I also have a pellet popper. Would it be best to split them up between the two? Thanks for the help.

When cooking multiple on the off set just note the temp differentials in the cooking chamber, you may need to rotate them to get them all to cook uniform…. If you are stressed for monitoring time the pellet is the easy button. You can put all 4 in the pellet as long as you have about 2-3 inches between them and the edges.

They may not all be done at the same time, but you should see little difference in the cook outside of what Civil mentioned above. Have you thought about cooking them a day or so in advance? Pulled pork tastes just as good reheated the next day, or the next or the next. That way you can enjoy a stress free party.

Good luck and congrats to your son.

Crhis

They may not all be done at the same time, but you should see little difference in the cook outside of what Civil mentioned above. Have you thought about cooking them a day or so in advance? Pulled pork tastes just as good reheated the next day, or the next or the next. That way you can enjoy a stress free party.

Good luck and congrats to your son.

Crhis
What’s the best way to re heat pulled pork? I like the idea of cooking ahead

What’s the best way to re heat pulled pork? I like the idea of cooking ahead
My earliest method was reheating pork in covered foil pans in the oven, misted with pork broth and Coca-Cola. Once I got a vacuum sealer, I switched to tabletop roasters and set the water temp about 160°. Now I use vacuum bags and a sous vide circulator.

BfBRyFZ.jpg

It's really important to break down the butts and keep the pork in larger pieces. It will stay much moister and flavorful. You can do some additional pulling by hand right before serving, or let the guests "pick and pull" their own.
zWmuRc7.jpg

etxHIPS.jpg

For family gatherings I simmer the PP in vacuum sealed bags. At work for my lunch I'll micro-wave it with a little sauce in the dish(my only option at work). Like Third-eye mention you can also reheat in the oven at the lowest setting. One advantage to the oven method is you can add some more of your rub to the mix. If using the oven make sure to add a little of your finishing sauce to the pan and stir once in a while. They all work and PP is very reheat friendly. I also know of folks who reheat in a crock pot in a similar fashion to the oven method.

Chris

Yes I’m a cover pan in the house oven with some finishing sauce and extra rub. I set my oven between 165-180 depending on the time. But I also use a shallow pan so it heats even and quicker…

You can use the pellet in a covered pan a well. I don’t double smoke PP as I think it can make it bitter!

Reactions: NefariousTrashMan
My earliest method was reheating pork in covered foil pans in the oven, misted with pork broth and Coca-Cola. Once I got a vacuum sealer, I switched to tabletop roasters and set the water temp about 160°. Now I use vacuum bags and a sous vide circulator.

View attachment 664893
It's really important to break down the butts and keep the pork in larger pieces. It will stay much moister and flavorful. You can do some additional pulling by hand right before serving, or let the guests "pick and pull" their own.
View attachment 664894
View attachment 664895
Thank you for all the information and pictures

For family gatherings I simmer the PP in vacuum sealed bags. At work for my lunch I'll micro-wave it with a little sauce in the dish(my only option at work). Like Third-eye mention you can also reheat in the oven at the lowest setting. One advantage to the oven method is you can add some more of your rub to the mix. If using the oven make sure to add a little of your finishing sauce to the pan and stir once in a while. They all work and PP is very reheat friendly. I also know of folks who reheat in a crock pot in a similar fashion to the oven method.

Chris
I need to try a finishing sauce I seen the recipe for one on here but still have yet to use it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky