Goodbye ole Brinkman.... (smoked pork butt with my first mini /Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snowave

Fire Starter
Original poster
Well, I got my 24"  Propane Smoke Vault the other day... I was busy this weekend doing some sight seeing of the magnificent fall colors in my new home area (Leavenworth, WA).... so I thought I'd put off the assembly of the smoke vault (some say I may be waiting for the wife to come home form out of town to help me put it together....) and give the old Propane Brinkmann Vertical one last smoke.

So... I lubed my butt with mustard last night, and then massaged some Butt Rub on there (never tried it before, amazingly).. let er sit til 9am this morning.... Got the smoker heated up to 225, dumped some water in the pot... and put some hickory chunks in fire... tossed the butt on the fire, and we were off. About noon, I put a little mop on there and took off leaf peeping with the pups for a few hours. Got back at 4-ish in a downpour (luckily my deck is covered)... and my butt was still a perfect 225.  Wrapped it in foil and mopped again (apple juice, a little butt rub, a tad of apple cider vinager, touch of oil, and some water)

Around 6PM I got a 200 reading in the center, and yanked the bad boy out... wrapped it in towels, and put it in the small microwave for 90 minutes...  I had to eat dinner since it was going to be too late to wait exclusively for the butt... but that doesn't mean I didn't eat about half a lb while I was pulling it.

Tasty goodness... Thank you ole Brinkmann for introducing me to the wonderful world of smoking!

Here's a pict of leaf peeping to start out... in rainy, but beautiful Washington...

Thanks, Dave... yes, the rain is wonderful!  We've gotten about an inch so far.. still saw a touch of smoke today on one of the area fires.  I saw that one by you (St. Mary's Mission Fire) really kept going. Hope you didn't have any issues with it.

You bring tears to my eyes with that pic'.
icon_cry.gif
  I'm just getting into smoking and have the ECB with all the bells and whistles (read that as mod's).  It is almost something you fall in love with.  I am thoroughly enjoying it.

thumb1.gif

Last edited:
That pulled pork looks awesome. Great bark I must add considering you also wrapped it in foil. I have done it with foil and without foil and my bark is strong like that of yours when I don't wrap it in foil. Great job

Reactions: snowave
Nice butt! Yeah, that drive up to Leavenworth is really nice this time of year. But considering where you're at, shouldn't you be smoking brats?
cheers.gif

Nice view of the Fall in your area. Not to mention the Butt , looks good and juicy. Glad to have you here ; add comments anytime...

Have fun and...

Yea I see I wrap mind around the 155-160 internal temperature time my self when wrapping with foil. I like how much bark your pork still shows in doing so. When I'm going for a strong bark I don't foil at all. I like how your bark came out with foil being used real strong bark.

Great pics of the fall and pp - sorry to see another one bite the dust 

Yea I see I wrap mind around the 155-160 internal temperature time my self when wrapping with foil. I like how much bark your pork still shows in doing so. When I'm going for a strong bark I don't foil at all. I like how your bark came out with foil being used real strong bark.
yeah, I see what you mean.

btw, I just moved to Washington from Wrightwood... right up the road from you. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky