Good gloves

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can those gloves can take the heat of a hot smoke box? I think they might be best used for handling hot food, not coals and coal boxes.

FWIW, for pulling pork I use the cheaper PVC dipped jersey gloves you find at the hardware store. They go for about $2 a pair.

simg_t_thydronbluedippedglovesyhst54228614743972_1987_6720072110

simg_t_tbss1sp4221jpg110

simg_t_tb000ujdosg21uzhrfoljpg110

TN........i think he mentioned, he only wanted em for handling food........not a hot fire box

and for pulling pork.........i use my bear claws

I'm not sure if those gloves would work in a hot coal box. I think they're made for handling hot food (pulling pork, etc.)

FWIW, to pull pork I use PVC dipped gloves from the hardware store with great results and they cost about $2 a pair.

BSS-1SP4221.JPG

yhst-54228614743972_1987_6581587

yhst-94078161416260_2010_5069687

simg_t_thydronbluedippedglovesyhst54228614743972_1987_6720072110

Yes, I would continue to use my welding gloves for everything except handling the food itself. How does everyone else handle their food, ie wrapping a butt when it hits 165? If you're using welding gloves how are you cleaning them?

Sorry for duplicate posts.

I'm way lost on this one, but I thought the original post by STIFFYMAN was asking about a glove for the hot box. I thought he was referring to the coals and ashpan. Maybe he was referring to the smoking chamber and the meat in there????

I think we are all in agreement on one thing when it comes to GLOVES. Welding gloves work well for hot smoke boxes. Rubber/PVC gloves work nicely for handling hot meat.

Sure, channel locks, pliers & and other similar items work great for moving coals & wood, but those aren't gloves (for the record, I typically use both welding gloves AND pliers when handling my hot coals).

For pulling meat, I don't use my welding gloves because they're dirty. For pulling meat I like the PVC dipped gloves similar to those he found on Amazon, I simply find the $15 price tag a bit steep for a set of gloves that very closely resemble a $2 pair I found at the hardware store. I've never tried the bear claws to pull pork, but I'm sure they too work just fine for pulling pork (never tried to remove chicken skin or rotate a fatty with a set of claws).

All the PVC dipped gloves I've seen are one size fits all but I've only looked at them at Lowe's and Home Depot. I remember seeing cans of stuff for rubberizing tool handles though. I wonder if you could use that to dip your own gloves that fit better?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky