Going to KC, need some bbq recommendations.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

target

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Edgeley, ND
Next week we are headed down to Lawrence, to my sis's for xmas.
We will be in KC one day that week and I would like to find some really good que. Where is a good place to go I would prefer not to go to gates, bryants or OK joes (previously been there). Looking to find something new.

Thanks.

Hey Target,

I used to work in Lawrence and I would go to Biggs BBQ. It was good, and even though it has been a couple of years since I have been there, I would give it a try again without question.

http://www.biggsribs.com/

If you are wanting something in KC Metro, I would suggest that (besides the ones that you mentioned), you should without question go to Jack Stack BBQ. They are flat out awesome.

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/jack-sta...staurants/i/4/

Happy eating, and let us know where you went and how you liked it.

Her are a couple excellent joints in Kansas City, Kansas

Rosedale Barbeque
600 southwest Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66103
Tel: (913) 262-0343

Quick's Seventh Street Bar-B-Q

709 Cheyenne Ave,
Kansas City, KS 66105-2009
Tel: (913) 371-1599

It's on the right side of KC (wrong side being where you are headed
icon_mrgreen.gif
), but for reference, folks might consider the Red Shanty in Higgensville, which is about 45 minutes or so east of downtown KC on I-70. Take Hwy 13 north about 5 miles to Higgensville. Joint is on the right (east) side of Hwy 13.

Ribs, pulled pork, brisket. The usual suspects, but they do a few unique things with them, but mainly they are smoked low and slow in a real smoker.

I agree. If your plan is to be down on the Plaza, Jack's is good. Bring the arm and leg. Glad your going avoid Arthur Bryants, who the hell thinks thats good BBQ anyway.

I have to tell a little story about my Arthur Bryants experience...

We went down there and I ordered a sandwich. They slammed a piece of white bread down on the plate, dipped into a grease filled tub of meat, and slammed a big pile of that on the first slice. Next they topped it with the second slice of bread.

Then, to cut it into two pieces, they put a knife on the bread and then came the hand on top of the knife to hold the sandwich still while they cut it. I ended up with a sandwich with a giant hand print embedded in the bread where it had compacted the thing...all in all, I can guarantee that I can:
  1. Cook better tasting BBQ.
  2. Not serve it in a disgusting manner.
I know that Arthur Bryant's is an Icon BBQ joint...they just don't get any of my money.

I really like Aurthur Bryants and have had very good experinces there. At least the one out by Legends. Good food, clean, and nice people.

As a rule of thumb always rule out franchises. Quality deviates so much between location that it is hard to get a real feel for what the place was originally about.

I have a friend who lived and died by Biggs BBQ there. I'll throw another vote in there for it in his honor.

Has anyone tried The Three Little Pigs Barbecue located in the Crown Center in Kansas City?

Swindler,
I have heard of 3 little pigs but never been able to find a review or much info on them. I do know that the reviews for the cooks are extraoridinary but never heard a thing about the actual restaraunt.

Im going down on March for 3 days of BBQ, and these two were on my short list,

Im going to Arthur Bryants(gotta try it based on rep.), & Gates. Plus LC's

After that I am looking for any info on Boyd's & Sons.

I think I have 4 lunches to fill w/ bbq, and maybe a dinner, so I can fit a few of different places in.

I know it is not BBQ but don't miss Strouds Fried Chicken - this place is legendary for their chicken.

thanks, Ill keep it in mind, my wife likes fried chicken.

I think the Golden Ox in KC is going to be a stop for a b-day steak dinner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky