Glad to see it!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

otis857

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I've been around here off & on for a while and was surprised to NOT see a pellet smoker section. I just ordered my Father's day/birthday present, a Yoder YS640,  and want to hear what you all have to say about pellet smoking. Im giving up on my Masterbuilt XL and looking forward to some fine Q coming off the new Yoder. I really like the people here and this forum in general, so as a new soon to be pellet pooper, it will be nice to hear what some others here are using.
439.gif

Congratulations, I've had my YS640 for about a year now and love it.  Had 1 problem with it and Yoder stepped up to the plate and took care of it.  Does a GREAT job giving things a light smoke flavor.  For heavier smoke, add one of Todd's new Smoking Tubes.  I also recommend using 100% flavor wood pellets, not the Oak base with flavor oil (Treager) or Alder base with flavor oil that are out there.  Trust me you will be happier with the results.

Joe

I'm thinking hard about getting a pellet smoker.  The Yoder sounds like a pretty good one but I might end up with a traeger only because I can buy one from cabelas with my club points so it won't cost me any real dollars.  Just not sure I will be happy with it--sounds like the control is a bit limited and none of the traegers will do a high heat if you want to do any grilling.  Any thoughts?

I had Treagers.  Pretty cheesy in comparison to the Yoder.  Now the only reason I'd have another Treager was if they gave it to me and then I'd only keep it long enough to dump it on someone else.

Joe

I guess that is my concern about the traeger from looking at the pictures and specs, Joe.  Sound like most people who got them end up trading up.  I'd rather not invest the time in learning a new cooker only to move on to another.  steve

Katman, I will say that the first Treager did an ok job.  However as stated it was pretty flimsy in comparison.  When I had trouble with it their customer service sucked.  Was given a second one, the small Tailgater model and it was junk.  Right out of the box it didn't work.  Let the local dealer fix it, worked twice and failed on the 3rd use again.  That was when I went to the Yoder and have been very happy ever since.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky