Garlic coil - Third Attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
This is my third go round with a garlic sausage. The first batch was smoked in my Bradley. It looked great, but it was so acrid and bitter that it was inedible. Unfortunately I ended up tossing the whole batch. I made a second batch and did it in my Traeger. I like the flavor - especially after cutting it up into coins and frying them for a bit. Mustard is my dip of choice. Unfortunately this batch tasted more like farmer sausage than garlic coil. I tweaked things a bit and upped the amount of garlic since everyone said that it didn't have enough garlic.

This attempt has turned out much better in terms of the smoke, the color, and the taste. I still think the recipe could be tweaked a bit more since it seems to be almost there, but not quite.

Just after stuffing them and sitting for a bit to dry.

20231125_105739.jpg

20231125_105750.jpg

Almost two hours in I snapped a pic after putting the probe in to check IT.

20231125_142537.jpg

Just off the smoker and getting ready for a hot water dunk to help keep them plump during cooling.

20231125_150326.jpg

Here they are after sitting out for a few hours with a fan on them to bloom.

20231125_191821.jpg

Of course I had to taste them. Decent bind overall and good fill on the casing.

20231125_155003.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying these again tomorrow after they've had a chance to sit for a bit. Ritz crackers, cheese and garlic sausage are on the menu.

Looking good. Keep tweaking the recipe and you'll dial it in eventually. Fastest way though is using the metric system with the meat in kg. and the spices in grams. after a while you will get a feel for how many grams of each spice will tweak the flavor you want to create and you will zero in on it faster. You get better as you go....

Reactions: nlife
Decent bind overall and good fill on the casing.
Those are perfect .
Using fresh garlic ? I spoon it in until you can smell it at the neighbors house , then add a little more .
Nice work , looks like you have it figured out .

Looks fantastic! Garlic fiends here too. One trick I learned is that there are spices that you'd never suspect would work so well with garlic. Dare I say it amplifies the garlic. First one I learned of was clove (Julie Childs pork roast). Last one I learned was caraway. Does not take much but there is some kinda synergy going on.

I really like garlic and generally use chopped instead of granulated. I have a garlic Italian sausage recipe that calls for 1/4 cup of chopped garlic in a 5# recipe. It's one that I actually reduced the amount of garlic in. :emoji_nerd:

Wow that looks good!
Is that an edible casing or is it removed? My eyes can't tell. Either way I could wreck a pile of that!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm learning as I go.

@indiaswamp I'm Canadian so I'm somewhat familiar with the metric system :emoji_wink:. Granted I'm old enough to have grown up in a school system where I give you my height in feet and inches, but I buy my milk in liters :emoji_laughing:.

chopsaw chopsaw I used granulated garlic for the recipe. I wanted to use some fresh garlic, but I dropped the ball on picking it up when I went shopping!

zwiller zwiller I'm going to make a note of those two and test it out. I've never heard of adding them to garlic, but there certainly are other spices that just work together. I've had a few east indian dishes where there's no chilli added at all, but it ended up cranking hot regardless. Heck cinnamon and nutmeg sure are a nice combo. Especially in an apple pie.

thirdeye thirdeye I watched a youtube video where the guy compared granulated, powder, and fresh chopped garlic in a basic sausage recipe. I was a bit surprised to see that the fresh chopped garlic was the mildest of the lot, with granulated providing more of a bite. I'd still like to try fresh though.

I had also seen a recipe buy a guy that added a cup of powdered garlic to something like a 5 or 6 lb batch. I did the math and converted it over to metric and it worked out to 31+ g of garlic per kg. Apparently once you get towards the 2 cup range you end up with a sausage that tastes like a copper penny. Here I was thinking my 10g per kg was going to be too much.

cptnding cptnding they are edible 32mm collagen casings. I will be trying natural casings for the next batch of cheddar smokies I'm making today.

I have made several recipes of Kielbasa from scratch, but i found the Hi Mountain Cracked pepper and Garlic jerky/stick seasoning the best out of all I have made. I get orders everytime I make a run.

This is my third go round with a garlic sausage. The first batch was smoked in my Bradley. It looked great, but it was so acrid and bitter that it was inedible. Unfortunately I ended up tossing the whole batch. I made a second batch and did it in my Traeger. I like the flavor - especially after cutting it up into coins and frying them for a bit. Mustard is my dip of choice. Unfortunately this batch tasted more like farmer sausage than garlic coil. I tweaked things a bit and upped the amount of garlic since everyone said that it didn't have enough garlic.

This attempt has turned out much better in terms of the smoke, the color, and the taste. I still think the recipe could be tweaked a bit more since it seems to be almost there, but not quite.

Just after stuffing them and sitting for a bit to dry.

View attachment 681928

View attachment 681927

Almost two hours in I snapped a pic after putting the probe in to check IT.

View attachment 681926

Just off the smoker and getting ready for a hot water dunk to help keep them plump during cooling.

View attachment 681925

Here they are after sitting out for a few hours with a fan on them to bloom.

View attachment 681923

Of course I had to taste them. Decent bind overall and good fill on the casing.

View attachment 681924

I'm looking forward to trying these again tomorrow after they've had a chance to sit for a bit. Ritz crackers, cheese and garlic sausage are on the menu.
I like the mustard seed in there...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky