Garlic Cloves in Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When braising I add a bulb of garlic.
When slow roasting I will cut slits and stick cloves of garlic in the meat.

Anyone cut slits and stick cloves of garlic in their meat when smoking?
Have done this many times with butts and it's a great addition. Would recommend.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Mom taught me to do this with chuck pot roast. She sliced the garlic cloves and stabbed the roast with a paring knife, slid the slice down next to the blade and then extracted the knife. Over and over again. Can't really be over done.
A few years ago I saw Emril Lagassie Do exactly the same thing, except he used whole gloves.

One of the guys I coached soccer with used to do a whole lamb on a rotisserie . I can't even guess how many garlic cloves he stuck in it .

Reactions: TH-n-PA and bauchjw
Alright, used up the rest of the bulb before it goes bad and stuck on the smoker at 225* for a couple hours before turning up to 260*.

3 pound chuck roast from a local little butcher shop.
My first time going there.

When I parked I saw a wooden ramp and gate where I assume they walk the cow in to butcher.

74442F53-2BE6-48B0-87A3-A4D4FF02E395.jpeg

Reactions: mike243 and TNJAKE
I am curious and asking for opinions of what I created.

It was a 3 pound fresh chuck roast
Cooked on a pellet smoker
Salt, pepper, celery salt, rosemary
No binder
220* for 2.5 hour
260* for 4.5 hour
275* last hour (grill went wankey)
Final IT temp 202*
Temps from Meater because it’s more accurate

Bark seem right?

Its not dry but it is not dripping any juice. Is this normal for the cut of meat?

Would wrapping have caused a different end result or is that an unknown?

Thank you for your input,
Travis

Forgot to add….

Rest in the cooler for three hours.

The little end was so tender it wouldn’t cut.
Just fell apart.

6BE2C9B4-26FB-49C1-8B44-790B92C22084.jpeg

Thats the correct finished temp for pulled beef, need to stop about 190ish if you intend to slice. looks great, with leaner cooks a wrap around 160 will help keep more juice/fat in it, sometimes some liquid may be needed depending on the fat content.

I haven't been able to find a 6-8 lbs roast that I would like to smoke with garlic shoved into it about every 3-4" ,at 1 time I did those at least once a month but mostly see roasts 2" thick and I prefer 6-10" thick. Food City was my goto for roasts and garlic both regular and the large elephant

Thats the correct finished temp for pulled beef, need to stop about 190ish if you intend to slice. looks great, with leaner cooks a wrap around 160 will help keep more juice/fat in it, sometimes some liquid may be needed depending on the fat content.
Thank you for the info!

Thoroughly enjoying my new hobby and the site!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky