freezing boiled peanuts !!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
its boiled peanut time in the south, and i am going to be making a long trip to bring back about 120 lbs of fresh green peanuts ,
i have never frozen peanuts before but i have eaten peanuts that were boiled then frozen and they were pretty good
my older sister told me that instead of cooking them and freezing them .she has had better luck just putting them in a freezer bag and covering them with water then freezing, has anyone tried both methods and if so which did you like better and why ?

I make them homemade all the time but have never froze them. My guess would be without the water. If I used liquid I guess I'd use the brine from the peanuts instead of water

my sister swears that hers taste like they are fresh picked, but with the amount that i plan on freezing i would like other opinions...lol

Reactions: TNJAKE
Re-read your post. I thought you were talking about boiling then freezing lol. Which I'd probably never do. I do freeze raw peanuts but I just vac seal and put in freezer. But if ya can't trust your sister, who can ya trust lol. Seems the shells could get soggy during thaw which may not be a big deal anyways since they will be boiled

the ones that i have eaten that were cooked then frozen then reheated had kind of a gritty feel to them when i ate them, my sister says to just put them in a freezer bag raw, cover them with water, close the bag and freeze them and when your ready to eat them, just cook them like they were fresh picked and that way they won't have that gritty feel to them, plus they taste fresher ...so i guess i am going to give her way a try

After they have cooled off, I freeze them in ziplock freezer bags with the brine. I just boil in the bag when I want some. I like them a little soggy though.

I do it the same way as 5GRILLZNTN does. We pulled way too many peanuts last year but boiled them all then just put in ziplocks and froze. Whenever we want I just pull one out and heat up in hot water. Sometimes add a little more salt to the water. But I do like them soggy with a lot of liquid inside. We're STILL eating last years peanuts.

I boil a few 40 lb sacks each year. at least one wit crab boil and one just salt I freeze them in quart zip lock bags no water . nothing added and they last me through Mardi Gras (feb. / Mar. ) the next year. So 7 months + with no prob;em.

Dang where were all y'all when I was boiling peanuts and making threads lol. I was worried people didn't like boiled peanuts. I use crab boil and some extra goodies in my brine. Everyone wanna share some recipes? I'm a junkie for boiled peanuts

Jake I actually use my instant pot for boiled peanuts. I get Raw, not Green peanuts at Publix and soak them overnight in water. Next day I add the following to the pot:

• 2 pounds pre-soaked green peanuts. Or 2 lbs unsoaked Raw peanuts
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (I typically use a little over a cup.)
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
This would also be the time to add any seasonings. I typically dump in some Tony C's. Next, dump in the peanuts and fill with water. I pressure cook for at least 1 1/2 hours and test them. I prefer around 2 hours.

i would never use anything other than green fresh dug peanuts
i might not know how to freeze them, but i know how to cook em ...lol
in the past i have tried the Cajun flavored but its just not for me

another thing that has me a bit worried is transporting the fresh peanuts from the field 1400 miles without them going bad , fresh green peanuts are very heat sensitive and can mold if not kept cool , so once they are in the back of our SUV, its non stop all the way home and then get them in the freezer ASAP

i would never use anything other than green fresh dug peanuts
i might not know how to freeze them, but i know how to cook em ...lol
in the past i have tried the Cajun flavored but its just not for me

another thing that has me a bit worried is transporting the fresh peanuts from the field 1400 miles without them going bad , fresh green peanuts are very heat sensitive and can mold if not kept cool , so once they are in the back of our SUV, its non stop all the way home and then get them in the freezer ASAP
Do them like we do crawfish and crabs . Lay wet burlap sacks or towels on top and set a bag or two of ice on top to keep them cool. If your not in a truck you can pot them in ice chest.

Jake I actually use my instant pot for boiled peanuts. I get Raw, not Green peanuts at Publix and soak them overnight in water. Next day I add the following to the pot:

• 2 pounds pre-soaked green peanuts. Or 2 lbs unsoaked Raw peanuts
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (I typically use a little over a cup.)
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
This would also be the time to add any seasonings. I typically dump in some Tony C's. Next, dump in the peanuts and fill with water. I pressure cook for at least 1 1/2 hours and test them. I prefer around 2 hours.
I need an instapot that will boil 40 lbs at a time LOL somne of those big Mississippi goobers will take 5 hrs of boiling and another 4 - 5 hours of soaking to get soft and to soak up seasoning.

Finished product at end of thread

Jake, I'm going to try that recipe in my instant pot this weekend. A bunch of us go on a weekend kayak/camping trip in the fall and these are the perfect river snacks.

I haven't done Red River yet, but hit the Narrows of the Harpeth a while back. Man it was muddy.
IMG_0494.JPG

Yep narrows is where we go. Muddy because of all the rain we had. Check out red river. It's up by me. Beautiful. And they have 2 long floats you can camp out during on the river banks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky