Followed Dave’s 5 day picnic to ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

actech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Illinois Land of jailed governors
Did a picnic per Dave’s 5 day post (kinda). Had no phosphate or veggie broth. Turned out awesome. At 89 lb I picked up a few and have one curing with phosphate and using veggie stock. Can’t wait to try it.
DC3AE8C1-5CC7-44BA-9D1D-67F2623B7055.jpeg
C7072173-4B18-4D55-B9CB-160183DD9C90.jpeg
BC4ACEEE-E1D4-443E-AA14-EDB1DA01F81C.jpeg
13089BDE-7D4F-4A9D-9E03-EE63ECCE7F70.jpeg

I did a shoulder Picnic a few weeks ago, and currently eating on a loin with Dave's technique.

You got some great color on your's. What smoker temp, time in smoker, and final internal temp?

Great looking ham for sure. More details please. I need to learn

I did a shoulder Picnic a few weeks ago, and currently eating on a loin with Dave's technique.

You got some great color on your's. What smoker temp, time in smoker, and final internal temp?
I Did about 24 hr of smoke at 110-120. Then bumped it up to 160 and took it to 140 internal. Cooled and stored in fridge for a few days and baked at325 about 10 min lb. about 4 trays of pecan pellets was the smoke.

bNqcilS.jpg
My Boston Butt ham is resting until sunrise and I plan a long cold smoke session tomorrow. Just curious, but when you baked your ham at 325°, were you just warming it up? I have this one money muscle down in the net, just for reference, so I can slice it like a pork steak.

View attachment 454979
My Boston Butt ham is resting until sunrise and I plan a long cold smoke session tomorrow. Just curious, but when you baked your ham at 325°, were you just warming it up? I have this one money muscle down in the net, just for reference, so I can slice it like a pork steak.
only took it to 140 in smoker so was actually finishing the cooking also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky