flare up's in my elec. ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffygould

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I converted my ECB a few months ago and have begun to regret doing this and not just saving my $28 to apply to a diffrent smoker. I understand that it's just a matter of figuring this whole elect. think out but I have become very frustrated. I can't seem to get a smoke with out flare ups. I've tried chunks, small split pieces, wrapped in foil, on top a baking pan turned upside down. I've run out of ideas and patience are running out. since it's a conversion there are no lava rocks, just the element on a metal plate which rests on the legs in the bottom of the smoker. I bet the biggest problem is that this thing isn't flush with the walls of the smoker so theres tons of air coming in right at the element.

While I don't have that type smoker running yet my thoughts would be
1. Buy some lava rocks to add to it
2. Maybe fit a fire brick or something in where I could get a foil pack close to the element with touching it.
3. Maybe a cast iron pan with foil on top with just a few holes poked in it
As I said I don't use that smoker and am just trying to throw ideas out there

This is a challenge in the ECB electric. (temp spikes resulting from chunks igniting) I have the most success with a pie pan sitting on the element using dry chunks. I recently re-added lava rocks as the old one were tossed during a clean-up. That seems to have no bearing on this issue.

PS
I would add that this challenge pushed me over to try a drum since I was always messing with the ECB electric to monitor temps via venting, etc due to the flare-ups. I figure I may as well be monitoring a charcoal unit and get experience with that since I am tending the unit anyways. The ECB elec is still more 'set and forget it' than a drum but the drum is rock steady once set up properly, too. (I am still learning with the charcoal set-up in the basket, though)

1. Try small tuna fish or single-serve vegetable cans - place them around but not on the heating element - this'll prolong the smoke before the chunks go completely to ash.
2. Pie pan directly on top of the element w/soaked wood chunks wrapped in foil that you poke holes in placed inside the pie pan will prolong the smoke.

well I tried the tin can idea and got great results for about 10-20 min. then the thin blue smoked cleared. I waited about 20 more min for it to kick back up since the wood didnt ignight, but they never started up again.

I took the cans out and just layed the chunks right on the metal plate the element rests on and theres were I got some good results well for the 20 min or so that the chicken was still on there. I had some chicken breasts on there and they had been cooked already. So there may be hope still. Now I just got to buy some more meat and try some more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky