Fishing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...it's what I do. As a few on here may know, I'm a US Coast Guard licensed captain which just means that I went to Sea School, and passed, so that I can legally charge people to take them fishing :emoji_grin:. From April until about now is my busy time and this year has seemed busier than past years and I'm ready for a little slowdown.

That is until after this Thursday, 8/10. That's the day that I get to participate in an event where we take a bunch of Wounded Warriors fishing, 90 total. We fish, come back and people clean their fish for them, and a lunch is prepared for everyone while we're out fishing. They get to take home a cooler of cleaned fish, we have some sponsors that donate gifts so they all get a gift, and this is all done at no charge to them. The boat captains supply the boat, all fishing equipment, gas, ice, snacks, etc. This will be my 10th or maybe 11th year of doing this and I wouldn't miss it for anything, it means too much to me to be able to give a little back to those who have given so much for us all.

Thank you to our military, those not with us, retired, and active duty, as well as their families, for all of your sacrifices...

...it's what I do. As a few on here may know, I'm a US Coast Guard licensed captain which just means that I went to Sea School, and passed, so that I can legally charge people to take them fishing :emoji_grin:. From April until about now is my busy time and this year has seemed busier than past years and I'm ready for a little slowdown.

That is until after this Thursday, 8/10. That's the day that I get to participate in an event where we take a bunch of Wounded Warriors fishing, 90 total. We fish, come back and people clean their fish for them, and a lunch is prepared for everyone while we're out fishing. They get to take home a cooler of cleaned fish, we have some sponsors that donate gifts so they all get a gift, and this is all done at no charge to them. The boat captains supply the boat, all fishing equipment, gas, ice, snacks, etc. This will be my 10th or maybe 11th year of doing this and I wouldn't miss it for anything, it means too much to me to be able to give a little back to those who have given so much for us all.

Thank you to our military, those not with us, retired, and active duty, as well as their families, for all of your sacrifices...
That is very cool of you! I would love to see pics of your boat and some of the catches.

I would love to see pics of your boat
Me and my current boat. As a product of the 70's, I am used to long hair. My career didn't allow it so when I retired almost 7 years ago, I let my hair grow out...WAY out. My wife has long since quit fussing about it...🤣, and now it's my "image" within the fishing community I run it. Everyone knows me by my hair...🤣
Resized_20210520_114152[1].jpeg

Way to go with taking them fishing, we owe them so much more.
I'm lucky enough to live beside Lake superior (Thunder Bay) and can fish salmon and trout. Lots of inland lakes where walleye fishing is fantastic or spend time on a speckled trout lake all with in a 30 mile radius.

Way to go with taking them fishing, we owe them so much more.
I'm lucky enough to live beside Lake superior (Thunder Bay) and can fish salmon and trout. Lots of inland lakes where walleye fishing is fantastic or spend time on a speckled trout lake all with in a 30 mile radius.
I have gone to Sodus bay off lake Ontario for the salmon and lake trout, always a good time.

Reactions: JLeonard
What an amazing and inspirational thread Charles. I was not aware of you doing this for the vets before now but knowing you the way I do, it just reaffirms what I've thought from the beginning. You're a great and generous man with a heart the size of Texas. Congrats to you. Now (and this is non-negotiable :emoji_wink: ) please send me a PM letting me know what I can do to help. It'd be an honor to be a part of this, even if in a very small way...and hats off to all of our service men and women. There's no way to extend the full gratitude for what you do and have done for this country.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
clifish clifish - In SC I've caught stripers as far inland as the dam at Stumpy Pond and it was a little one - maybe a lb and a half. There are rumors of them being caught further up the Catawba, but I've never caught one personally. As far as I know, that river chain has never been stocked and everything in it has migrated up the system from the Charleston area. More common is the hybrid striper, a white bass/striper mix.

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke - are those out of Murray?

EDIT - this represents where I caught junior striper and the river system.

1691436845717.png

You da man Charles. What a wonderful thing to do for our vets. Bravo to you my man.

BTW my formidable years were in the 60's and my partying years were in the seventies. It was a great combination. I've also let my hair grow out. Currently it's just past the shoulder blade, and I want to cut it off. My wife wants me to keep it until my daughter comes home for a visit at the end of the month. She's 33 and has never seen me without a butch cut. The end of the month can't come soon enough for me. I'm tired of using shampoo and a comb.

Kudos to you my friend.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Thank you guys for all of your comments. This year's Wounded Warrior event is actually a reschedule due to weather. We'll only have about 50-60 servicemen and women this week.

This is one of several events that I participate in. In September, we're taking a bunch of National Guard folks fishing...same deal. This second event rotates each year between the Guard, first responders, and the various law enforcement agencies. Just a way to show appreciation for what they all do for us and what they mean to us...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky