First time UDS user and failed miserably

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirtylarry

Original poster
Sep 4, 2021
Hey guys and gals. I've been doing BBQ for ~15 years or so and have put out some fantastic food in my time. However, I've never used a UDS. I just got a Hunsaker Vortex moving away from my stickburner because I wanted something with a bit less babysitting. My burn-in went alright. However, I did my first cook today doing beef short ribs and I am very disappointed. We just bought half a cow and I was excited to throw some in the smoker and have something nice for the weekend. From all of my reading I figured on 3-4 hours to do the short ribs to get them up to temp at around 275. I had the smoker dialed in between 260-270 with my digital probe thermometer. The ribs got up to temp in less than 2 hours. They are tough and dry. I really don't know what I did wrong but I am extremely disappointed in the experience I just had. Any insight would be really helpful as the only thing I can think of is the meat quality maybe? The cow was 2 1/2 years old and on the smallish side at just shy of 1000 lbs. We used some of the ground beef and it turned out okay in the dish we cooked, and another roast ended up decent in some rice. I'm really hoping it's not the cook(me). Also, if it matters, I left the membrane on the bone-side of the ribs alone so I'm wondering if that has contributed to this. I have only done beef short ribs one other time years ago and didn't remember if I took it off or not, but videos I watched before this cook indicated to leave it on. Second guess that decision. The silverskin was mostly removed.

Help!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
When you say up to temp what temp did you finish at? Short ribs are best for me around 203-205F. The membrane on them is really hard to remove. I usually just smoke them and then peel it when serving. How were the short ribs cut? Whole multi bone rack or smaller pieces?

Welcome aboard.

Just to make sure here, you bought a steer right.... not a cow? 18 months is about average, and 6 months of that is on special feed or in a feed lot. And yes 1,000 pounds hoof weight is light. So maybe it's the beef? Have you tried steaks and such that came out well?

On the short ribs, were they the full length ribs with 9 to 12 inch bones or had they been cut down to 4" bones. When I cook them in my drum I plan on 7 or 8 hours. And at least one hour or more is wrapped. I do leave the membrane on short ribs as I've had them cook themselves right off the bone.

When you say up to temp what temp did you finish at? Short ribs are best for me around 203-205F. The membrane on them is really hard to remove. I usually just smoke them and then peel it when serving. How were the short ribs cut? Whole multi bone rack or smaller pieces?

I meant that temp range. The membrane I think was an issue here. Truth be told there wasn't a whole lot of meat on the bones, maybe 1.5" total thickness including the bones so a lot of what was being bitten into was the membrane and maybe risidual silverskin that I couldn't easily get off(that was a PITA itself)

Welcome aboard.

Just to make sure here, you bought a steer right.... not a cow? 18 months is about average, and 6 months of that is on special feed or in a feed lot. And yes 1,000 pounds hoof weight is light. So maybe it's the beef? Have you tried steaks and such that came out well?

On the short ribs, were they the full length ribs with 9 to 12 inch bones or had they been cut down to 4" bones. When I cook them in my drum I plan on 7 or 8 hours. And at least one hour or more is wrapped. I do leave the membrane on short ribs as I've had them cook themselves right off the bone.

Thank you!

To be honest I wasn't specific when talking to the guy, it's the first time I've been involved in a beef purchase so I know I could have done that part better. The more and more I think about it the more I feel it's the beef and maybe a bit of me not trimming well enough. The ribs were maybe 4-5" long and tbh I think the thickest may have been 1.5" thick meat included. They had also cut these down to two bone pairs so it's not surprising in retrospect that they finished quickly as is normal with smaller meats. The parts of the meat that I bit into that I knew for a fact weren't membrane weren't so bad but as a whole it was awful to try and tear away from the bone.

It really just urks me that I spent so much money on the beef for it to be like this. We've only used a little of the hamburger which admittedly was alright, and one of the roasts chunked up into some rice and it wasn't too bad either. But these ribs, I'm really not happy with. I had told myself my first UDS cook would be a pork shoulder since they're pretty forgiving, but I saw those beef ribs sitting in my freezer and went for it. I'm very nervous about the brisket I got in the beef-half now. It's a small one, like 8 lbs.

Reactions: bauchjw
Welcome to the club, I would bet not cooked long enough.

See what the steaks are like, may have just got unlucky and got a tough old Buzzard. Have fallen victim to that before. Some will work with you, others say just the breaks. Worth mentioning to them if the steaks are tough as shoe leather also.

Thank you!

To be honest I wasn't specific when talking to the guy, it's the first time I've been involved in a beef purchase so I know I could have done that part better. The more and more I think about it the more I feel it's the beef and maybe a bit of me not trimming well enough. The ribs were maybe 4-5" long and tbh I think the thickest may have been 1.5" thick meat included. They had also cut these down to two bone pairs so it's not surprising in retrospect that they finished quickly as is normal with smaller meats. The parts of the meat that I bit into that I knew for a fact weren't membrane weren't so bad but as a whole it was awful to try and tear away from the bone.

It really just urks me that I spent so much money on the beef for it to be like this. We've only used a little of the hamburger which admittedly was alright, and one of the roasts chunked up into some rice and it wasn't too bad either. But these ribs, I'm really not happy with. I had told myself my first UDS cook would be a pork shoulder since they're pretty forgiving, but I saw those beef ribs sitting in my freezer and went for it. I'm very nervous about the brisket I got in the beef-half now. It's a small one, like 8 lbs.
It sounds like your short ribs looked like this.
uXntMAb.jpg
And not like this.
af6oLmR.jpg

I'm thinking you did not cook them tender, and as some point when something like this is not getting tender, there is always the wrapping option. BUT.... I think you should ask a few questions about the beef. Maybe it was grass fed and finished, which is a fine way to go.... but some prefer a grain finish. And not just a few weeks on grain, maybe 5 months. Anyways, there is a lesson here and next time you will be more a more experienced buyer.

It sounds like your short ribs looked like this.
View attachment 509752
And not like this.
View attachment 509753

I'm thinking you did not cook them tender, and as some point when something like this is not getting tender, there is always the wrapping option. BUT.... I think you should ask a few questions about the beef. Maybe it was grass fed and finished, which is a fine way to go.... but some prefer a grain finish. And not just a few weeks on grain, maybe 5 months. Anyways, there is a lesson here and next time you will be more a more experienced buyer.

That first picture looks more in line with what I had, but yours has WAY more meat on them than mine. Mine were very thin honestly which again explains their quick cook time. Overall I am not that satisfied with what I bought, in addition to the ribs, the brisket is on the small side, the steaks don't really even look like steaks(don't get me started on the ribeyes), and I paid a lot more than I think I should have. Not sure I'll be doing it that way again. I really appreciate your insight btw.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky