First time smoking. Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

How2doit?

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Hello everyone. I just found out about this place today. I was at a local Lowe’s buying a pit boss pellet smoker and the salesman told me about it. I am not new to grilling but it is my first time trying out to smoke a brisket. After I got the smoker, I stoped at a local Costco and I got a 17 pound packer brisket. I have a friend that offer the follow guidelines:
1. Leave in the smoker until it reaches 150
2. Remove, wrap in foil and take it to the oven until it reaches 195.
3.let it rest for as long as 3 hours

so, how good is this instructions? I was told that the reason for taking out of the smoker and put in the oven is that after you wrap in foil it doesn’t make any more sense to burn the pellets.
please comment and any tips for a great brisket is truly appreciated!

Reactions: JC in GB
That's a good cost saving idea AND better temp control in the oven....

I use the oven often to finish cooking stuff.......

Final temp might be 200-205F if you want it to pull easy.... depends on your altitude...

Welcome from Wisconsin.

I usually don't wrap until it gets over 160 but the cooking method you mentioned should give you a good outcome.

Funny thing is my smoker regulates heat better than my oven so I usually do the full cook in the smoker.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Without getting into the whole "wrap/don't wrap" discussion I think your guidelines are pretty accurate except for one thing: your final temperature should probably be over 200 and sometimes as high as 207. Let the brisket tell you when it's done using the poke test. A knife or other sharp object should go in with very little resistance.

Let us know how it goes and of course we love to see pictures.

Guys what temperature the oven should be and stay once I wrap and finish in the oven ? Thank you so much

First off, do you want Pulled Brisket or Sliced Brisket? If Sliced is your goal, cooking to 195° and a Probe slides in with Slight Resistance, should get you there. A 30 minute rest on the counter is all that's needed but an hour rest in the cooler should not hurt.
There really is no gain cooler resting 3 hours, unless you want the meat to fall apart. Resting in the cooler, 3 hours, keeps Cooking the meat and eventually the meat will fall apart.
If you plan to make Pulled Brisket, 205+, with a 1 to 3 hour cooler rest will get you there...JJ

Reactions: How2doit?
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky